Latest Posts

Topic: Help for a begginer

tutu10
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2019-05-09, 11:32

Hello there.

I recently found about this game on YouTube and decided to give it a try. But I haven't figured out how the game should actually be played or what civilization to start with. I don't find the economy in this game intuitive at all. I haven't been able to find any guides either. Does someone have any tips for a begginer? How many villgers should you créate at the start of the game? How many soldiers? What's an optimal distribution for resource extraction? How many villagers should I use to build? etc.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-09, 12:30

tutu10 wrote:

Hello there.

Hello there, welcome in our forums!

I recently found about this game on YouTube and decided to give it a try. But I haven't figured out how the game should actually be played or what civilization to start with.

Actually I'd recommend the Atlanteans. Just make sure to

• build many woodcutters and foresters (the saws and shovels are meant to be spent)
  • build a (corn) farm before spidercloth, spidersilk and corn run out

and in addition it can be helpful to lower the economy settings of tabards and golden tabards, so your weaving mill will produce them only if needed and can produce more important spider cloth instead. (economy settings are reachable via central flags and tell your buildings how many wares should be maximally in stock, see economy tutorial).

One big advantage of the Atlanteans is that their economy is rather simple: No building has to be enhanced, no workers have to be trained.

I don't find the economy in this game intuitive at all. I haven't been able to find any guides either.

Here a guide (which is at the other hand rather for advanced players and for version b18/b17) : http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/docs/StrategyByEinstein/StrategyForWidelands0.05.pdf

Does someone have any tips for a begginer?

Have you played all the tutorials? And do you play version build 20? Further tips are in the campaign.

How many villgers should you créate at the start of the game?

Depends on the tribe. It makes often send to build buildings for your workes which you have in the beginning in stock, and build more buildings in order to spend most of your tools.

For which tribe do you want to know more details?

How many soldiers?

Depends on your strategy. Often it's not necessary to begin with creating new soldiers, but with training soldiers first.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-09, 13:48

tutu10 wrote:

Hello there.

I recently found about this game on YouTube and decided to give it a try. But I haven't figured out how the game should actually be played or what civilization to start with. I don't find the economy in this game intuitive at all. I haven't been able to find any guides either.

yes, this game is a bit hard to learn at first. there are a few guides, but none official. there are the in-game tutorials for that, though.

Does someone have any tips for a begginer? How many villgers should you créate at the start of the game?

villaagers are created automatically when needed. no need to bother with them, except for having the tool-producing building.

How many soldiers?

soldiers are also created automatically, they are the end point of the economy. again no need to bother with them, if you have all the buildings needed you will produce them.

In general, what you really decide is what to build. if you build up your economy correctly, you will automaticalllly produce all the workers and soldiers.

What's an optimal distribution for resource extraction? How many villagers should I use to build? etc.

for a beginner - or really, for everyone except the most skilled players - I recommend to simply adjust your economy to fix its bottlenecks. You have two tools for that, the stock and the buildings menu, both accessible in-game.

stock tells you how many of each ware you have, and how many in your warehouse. from buildings you have to look at the oproductivity, if a certain category oof buildings has a low productivity it means it is not getting the wares it needs.

Say, for example, that you look in the buildings and see that your mines have a low productivity (ideallly, you'd want to be close to 100% with everything). it means the mines are not getting enough food. Assuming atlanteans, it means you lack either bread or smocked fish. But you check in the stock, and you have plenty of bread, not much smocked fish. Smocked fish is made in smokeries, so you check them. if they have a good produuction and you have plenty of fish in stock, then you need to build more smokeries. if you have low production, it means you need more fish or wood. So you make morre of the appropriate building. If you needed fish, you make fisheries with fish breeders to keep getting new fish. if you needed wood, you have to make woodcutters with foresters, to keep getting new trees.

Edited: 2019-05-09, 13:49

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-10, 08:32

Actually, if you're on Build 20, you'll need a Barracks building to produce soldiers.

Best play the al the tutorials and the campaigns first, things will become much clearer then.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote