Latest Posts

Topic: traffic issues

megalive

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-04-23, 19:41

Hi,

At this moment i see some strange things happening with the traffic.

I build 2 mhuge areas where all kind of goads are build and used. and there is produced enough in either of them

Between those two centres i see a lot of traffic. And a huge traffic jam.

Like (very small example i also noticed)

you build a winery and vineyard next too each other.

on some other place rather far away from it. I did the same build a winery and vineyard next too each other.

then i would expect all the grape produced in the vineyard goes too the winery next too it. what i see is that around 50% of the produced grapes from each vineyard goes the long route ...

An idea i had how it could possible be solved

I am not sure how hard it is in the code. Well something like too tranfer goods

a building produced something should check hi prio queues (first too transfer too) Second check around it self where it is needed (tranfer) (first medium queue then low prio queue) third check where good is needed (not enough too produce an other good) fourth bring it too warehouse

If goods are empty or extra is needed. if enough too produce not ask warehouses. - ask warehouses (close by first and continue wider on)

in such a situation the roads around ware houses get a bit fuller but when you place enough of these all around your empire i think it works.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-04-24, 11:14

something like this is implemented already, but as you realized the heuristics are not always good. This must be tweaked in code and some fixes could be easy. There is no way to solve it properly and forever because you can't anticipate what the users wants.

Top Quote
raistware

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-04-26, 13:53

Try to build a Warehouse on each area. So goods produced on area A should go to Warehouse A, and goods produced on Warehouse B should go to Warehouse B. There could be some interchange of goods between area A and B, but only when one area lacks some specific good.

Top Quote
ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-04-26, 18:59

What raistware suggested should fix your problem, provided that you have some available surplus of wares in the warehouses. So for now, you can try to set it up as he suggested to improve your economy.

In the long run, some people seem to have plans to improve the economy logic. The underlying problem is that we never reexamine a Transfer once it has been created. So let's say you have two sets A and B of vineyard + winery. The vineyard and winery in each set are close to each other, but the sets A and B are far apart. If you are running low on grapes, then the economy will attempt to send grapes produced by a vineyard immediately to one of the winery buildings. If you're unlucky, this means that grapes produced by vineyard A will go to winery B. When at a later time, vineyard B also produces grapes, the request of winery B is already being fulfilled by the grapes which are far away, and so the newly produced grapes from vineyard B will go to winery A instead. The only way around this would be by reexamining already established Transfers, but I don't think that's on anybody's todo list, and it's certainly not something you could (should) just hack in. A more disciplined approach to rethinking the economy algorithm would be needed.

Building warehouses and making sure that they contain at least a little stock of grapes should fix this particular problem, though.

Top Quote