Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Build 20

GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-11-08, 09:31

That was done intentionally because Widelands is writing log output, which means that admin privileges would be needed for playing.

That particular problem should be fixed now so that we'd be able to install into program files, but I'd rather wait with this until after Build 20, just in case.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
stdh
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2018-12-29, 14:12

Not sure if it's important, but we're about to miss Debian's freeze window. I remember there was some effort to get build 19 released in time for Debian 9 (stretch). If we want to do the same for Debian 10 buster, there should be a package of build 20 in testing by 2019-02-12 (or, exceptionally, at the very latest 2019-03-12). If that doesn't work, and if Debian's Widelands maintainer wants to make it happen, build 20 could be available in the backports - but I don't know if that would propagate into derivative distros. I'm also not sure how Debian packages end up in Ubuntu or its backports, and derivatives thereof.

Taking a look at the bugs tagged for build 20, it seems desync problems are our only real show-stoppers. How is the progress/hope for that? I'm afraid I can't really help with that...

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2018-12-31, 14:02

I remember there was some effort to get build 19 released in time for Debian 9 (stretch).

Yes, we did.

If that doesn't work, and if Debian's Widelands maintainer wants to make it happen, build 20 could be available in the backports - but I don't know if that would propagate into derivative distros.

It would not be too difficult to also serve some Buster-compatible .deb file at the widelands website. At least some architectures and some derivative distros. Having b20 in the Debian release would be better.

Taking a look at the bugs tagged for build 20, it seems desync problems are our only real show-stoppers. How is the progress/hope for that? I'm afraid I can't really help with that...

Is somebody working on this? Was this ticket forgotten? If nobody is doing anything, it will take a long while to get the Build out.

Edited: 2018-12-31, 14:04

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-12-31, 15:02

Last time i played multiplayer, we had no desyncs. But that was a 1vs1 game 'Wood Gnome'. I am not really sure if bug crashes/desyncs in multiplayer is valid anymore. But there is also a bug Desync + crash in local multiplayer

Maybe related is the bug Desyncs in Replays. This bug appears only if widelands isn't restarted before watching a replay.

I think what we need is more testing mutliplayer, and submitting the savegame including the *.wss files to the bug(s).

Edited: 2018-12-31, 15:02

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-12-31, 15:35

kaputtnik wrote:

Maybe related is the bug Desyncs in Replays. This bug appears only if widelands isn't restarted before watching a replay.

This is unfortunately not true. Replays also desync very often if one restarted Widelands before.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-12-31, 15:53

WorldSavior wrote:

kaputtnik wrote:

This is unfortunately not true. Replays also desync very often if one restarted Widelands before.

What kind of replays are this than? Multiplayer or normal games?

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-12-31, 15:56

kaputtnik wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

kaputtnik wrote:

What kind of replays are this than? Multiplayer or normal games?

Multiplayer and singleplayer

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-01-01, 05:34

speaking of build 20, when is it going to become a thing? the announcement of feature freeze said a few weeks, and it was made in september. but i checked the download page, and official buiild linked there is still 19

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-01-06, 19:34

We have some difficult bugs still open for build 20. No idea when there will be an official release...

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-01-07, 16:51

kaputtnik wrote:

We have some difficult bugs still open for build 20. No idea when there will be an official release...

They are mainly about crashes and similar things, aren't they? Can that tool called AddressSanitizer not help there?

Top Quote