Latest Posts

Topic: B20

teppo

Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2018-08-03, 18:39

Build 19 is almost two years old. Should we start planning another one, even if the game is not perfect and finalized yet?

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-08-03, 19:29

From my point of view Frisians need more balancing. Shouldn't they be a balanced tribe in build20?

And it would be good if the branch with the fixed mines would be included before build20 appears.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-08-03, 21:07

Balancing Frisians can be done after B20. That is my point of view. Why? Because after B20 more players will test it and give feedback.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-08-03, 21:23

From my point of view there has to be a new release soon. The main reason, beside the other bugfixes, are the metaserver changes (no need to fiddle with portforwarding anymore).

The Frisians tribe is marked as experimental and so this new tribe isn't a showstopper for build 20.

So The first Snow freeze should be called face-smile.png

It's always a pity if new ideas didn't get into a release, but without calling a first winter freeze, we will never get a new official release...

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-08-04, 00:23

WorldSavior wrote:

From my point of view Frisians need more balancing. Shouldn't they be a balanced tribe in build20?

At least they are not that unbalancd anymore as we have done a lot of changes. Currently there are only 4 issues remaining in trunk which have already been identified. (mines - will be fixed with the fixed mines branch thanjs to WorldSavior, weapon smithy timings - is contained in the same branch, hunter producing to much fur -- has to be investigated but gives perhaps an advantage to compensate for other things, farms not having enough space - rather simple fix if confirmed, its only one number in a lua file). So I agree with einstein that further testing by a bigger community might only help. So for me frisians would be ready for the first appearance after the mines branch

And it would be good if the branch with the fixed mines would be included before build20 appears.

definitly. branch is almost ready. just needs some playtesting. appveyor builds are available

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2018-08-04, 09:08

From my viewpoint shorter times between builds is better, it attracts more interest from players and new developers. This brings more ideas and more testing which are both good.

Frisians are, in my opinion, not experimental just different to play. Balancing them to make the exactly the same as other tribes is counter productive. Tribes should all be diverse which makes them easier or harder to play on some maps. Of the four issues referred to mines I have not looked at so cannot comment, timing are not a problem as they are, that is the way they work live with it, hunter/fur is only a possible problem on a few maps so is more a compensation for different balances, farms are no problem, slow to start but then normally at 100% constant. I can play 20 hour games with just two farms producing a linear increase in soldier power.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-08-04, 17:00

I agree that we should try to have b20 as soon as possible. But from my knowledge GunChleoc is working hard since almost half a year to get the bugs fixed targeted for this release.
I also agree that finetuning the balance of the frisians could be done after b20.
I can't agree they don't need to be balanced at all. It wouldn't matter if widelands was just aimed to be a single player game. However it is not. And there already went so much work into them they should be a full member of frisian tribes which means they need to be competitive in multiplayer. That definitly does not mean they need to be equal in every aspect to the other tribes and sure they aren't. However they need to be strong enough to survive the beginning and fast enough to compete with the other tribes and therefore timing is essential as well as ressources needed to build up the environment. in Multiplayer one of the measures is how fast could you get a fully trained soldier? of course this is not the only criteria for balance but especially in this criterion frisians are still disadvanteged.
But this is the wrong thread to discuss this I believe, as we have an own thread for these topics.

Top Quote
teppo

Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2018-08-04, 17:00

Tinker wrote:

From my viewpoint shorter times between builds is better, it attracts more interest from players and new developers. This brings more ideas and more testing which are both good.

During feature freeze one needs to do uninteresting work, like fixing old important bugs, to make a version that works. New features are more fun.

In my opinion once a year would be okay, twice a year already a bit extreme.

Frisians are, in my opinion, not experimental just different to play. Balancing them to make the exactly the same as other tribes is counter productive.

Why should the tribes be perfectly balanced? We do not have difficulty levels.. If the tribes would be more off balance, the only obvious drawback would be that everybody picks the same tribe in a tournament (if allowed to pick).

EDIT from here on

hessenfarmer wrote:

I can't agree they don't need to be balanced at all. It wouldn't matter if widelands was just aimed to be a single player game. However it is not.

This allows people of unequal skill levels to play against each other. Only the bravest pick a handicapped tribe.

You sound like Frisians would be time wasted, if they are more difficult to play with. I do not see it that way, but take that seriously especially if Nordfriese joins your argument.

Edited: 2018-08-04, 17:18

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-08-04, 18:16

teppo wrote:

In my opinion once a year would be okay, twice a year already a bit extreme.

Twice a year can't be done, imho. While i think once a year is preferable, i don't think that it has to be that exact. There a few developers who contribute in an regular interval, but many appear at a time and after that they disappear again. That's a problem for all open source software. Please do not misunderstand: Every help is welcome and also the developers who spend their work only a short time doing a great job. What i want to say is that an open source project can't promise a regular plan for scheduling because of the fluctuation of developers.

I think a new release should be planned, if some main things were added or changed. The current status of widelands has some great improvements, so it's time to do a release face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
teppo

Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2018-08-04, 18:49

kaputtnik wrote:

Every help is welcome and also the developers who spend their work only a short time doing a great job.

Glad to hear.. Irregulars put some additional burden to regulars, as we always ask stupid questions and never remember how the bunnybot and other stuff works.

The current status of widelands has some great improvements, so it's time to do a release face-smile.png

Oh, and Smugglers desyncs in B19. Better to ensure that the build that goes into Debian Buster (freeze early next year) does not have it anymore face-wink.png

Top Quote