Latest Posts

Topic: lazy scouts

Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-01-24, 16:47

I think that a scout in his newly raised hut does exaclty perform 2 trips (for the first two rations). I seems that after this he never again leaves his building. (always at 0%) Could it be he forgets to check for new suplies? Can anyone please verify?

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
Spiceskull

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-01-27, 09:28

Yeah - I noticed that too.

Top Quote
QCS

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-01-27, 09:59

It looks like there's a line missing in tribes/barbarian/scouts_hut/conf:

The last line of the [work] section should possibly read "return=skipped"

Can't check that myself and/or do the modification in SVN right now... please check that on your system locally.

Edited: 2010-01-27, 10:01

CMake is evil.

Top Quote
QCS

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-01-27, 20:53

Tested the barbarian scout in last revision from SVN. The scout runs around removing the black areas of the map around him. Once everything in nearer radius around him is at least revealed, the scout does nothing, sitting on his food. I believe this is by design, I couldn't find any problem. Does he have still black map areas near around him when he stops scouting? The scout is not there to remove fog of war, but to remove black map areas. The return=skipped is apparently not necessary.

CMake is evil.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-02-11, 07:25

QCS wrote: Does he have still black map areas near around him when he stops scouting? The scout is not there to remove fog of war, but to remove black map areas. The return=skipped is apparently not necessary.

It would help to know on what radius the scout is supposed to work. But yes, I have black areas nearby.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
Spiceskull

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-02-11, 14:05

I have hacked the scout file on my machine, and have him out scouting for ten minutes. It would seem that the "scout" problem is run on random parameters - sometimes he is out for 30 seconds, sometimes for the full ten minutes.

Additionally, and obviously depending on whether there is unscouted land, he may only go out once, or perhaps two or three times, but to date he has not gone out until ALL black land has been scouted. His frequency of scouting missions, and the length of them, all seem completely random.

On a personal note I don't think the scout is a good ROI - even when hacked.

Top Quote
raistware

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-02-12, 09:36

I think that Scout should be like Geologist : flag-based instead of house-based. Just like Settlers II.

Top Quote