Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: tribe specific tutorials

laconiclizard
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2017-08-16, 10:11

I played the tutorial and it said now I should play the 3 tribe specific tutorials. Empire, Barbarian, and the other one. Where are they? I see an entry level Barbarian campaign in campaigns? Is that the Barbarian tutorial? After I play that do the other 2 appear?

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2017-08-16, 10:19

There should be three entry level campaignes in the campaign window, as you complete each one the next level is opened up for each tribe.

It is a long time since I played these and I am sure 3 tribes should be present at the start but it maybe that you need to do the barbarians before empire and atlantians appear. The Frisians do not have a tutorial yet as the tribe is not quite ready for release.

Top Quote
laconiclizard
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2017-08-16, 10:37

Thx. Yeah the only campaign I have is some entry level Barbarian campaign. I assume it's the tutorial. After I play it I guess another one appears. This game seems pretty cool but that's kind of confusing. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I'm pretty sure the original tutorial talked about 3 more "tutorials". But they're not under the tutorial button, you have to go to campaign. And it's not called a tutorial there, the only clue is the description calls it entry level or something.

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2017-08-16, 10:55

Yes I remember that confused me at the time but the scenarios are what you want.. There are 2 barbarian ones but the second is not available until you complete the first one. You should also have the one atlantian one and the first of 3 empire ones, if you do noy have all three then there seems to be something missing from your install.

Top Quote
laconiclizard
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2017-08-16, 11:33

No there's at least 3 barbarian scenerios. I'm starting the 3rd one now, it didn't appear until I finished the 1st, then 2nd one. There's no atlantian or empire scenerios. I think they probably appear after I finish the barbarian quest. It says widelands build 18. I doubt I'm missing anything. All I did was install the Fedora package. I played this game years ago and I remember all I ever played was barbarians. I don't remember but I bet it's because I finished the barbarian tutorial and then I started playing and never bothered learning the other tribes.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-08-16, 12:29

It looks as if you're still playing Build 18. You should try Build 19, where we have 4 separate tutorials and streamlined the Barbarian campaign into 2 scenarios.

Good point about the confusing instructions though, I'll have a look if this still needs fixing.

ETA: This has already been fixed in Build 19. First tutorial says:

This concludes the first tutorial. In order to learn more about the game, I suggest to play one of the other tutorials. Each of them covers a different topic.

However, since you now know how to control Widelands, you can also start a game (or continue this one) and discover more by yourself.

Military tutorial says:

Thank you for playing this tutorial. I hope you enjoyed it and you learned how to create and train soldiers, how to control where they go and how to defeat an enemy. Did you see how easily you could overwhelm your enemy? Having trained soldiers is a huge advantage.

But a war is expensive, and not always the path leading to the goal. When setting up a new game, you can also choose peaceful win conditions. You should definitely try them out, they’re worth it.

You are now ready to play the campaigns. They will teach you about the different economies of the tribes. You can also play the remaining tutorials, but they are not crucial for succeeding in the campaigns.

Edited: 2017-08-16, 12:33

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
laconiclizard
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2017-08-17, 10:37

Thx. I think I'll wait for build 19 to appear in the fedora repository, though. I'm too lazy to get build 19 on my own. Cool game, though.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-08-17, 11:50

Glad you're enjoying the game face-smile.png

ETA: Fedora has an open bug, but nobody has taken it on so far: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1397883

Edited: 2017-08-17, 11:52

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote