Latest Posts

Topic: Shortfalls and workarounds

hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-02, 19:14

Hi everybody, taking into account the discussions about release 19 (as well as it went for r18 and r17) there are always some features not yet implemented or some things not working totally as wanted. Would it be beneficial to have a list of all this "shortfalls" and possible workaround for these things somewhere in the game. For example these could be another tab on the about page. Best regards Hessenfarmer

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-02, 19:37

It's not a bad idea, but I wonder it it's worth the programming effort - the information is already available on the bug tracker. Also, it can't be dynamically changed for an already existing release. We could also consider having a wiki page.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-02, 21:01

Actually I was thinking about a considerable short list of all known "shortfalls" that can be "workarounded" by the player with a certain behaviour. (e.g. do not use fortified village as a start condition for AI players; to keep track of an important ship keep open the ships command window and use the localize button) these should be known for a certain release at the time of the release (collected during testing for example). This service was intended to help new players to have more fun (not like in Einsteins definition though ;-)) from the beginning of their game experience. The bugtracker is in my view far to technical for a person who wants simply play a game. Anyhow I like the idea of a more dynamic list like in a wiki. Perhaps there can be a link and probably disclaimer included in the game like : this game is still under development for more information about the shortfalls and workarounds of your release go to <wiki - shortfalls>. from this wiki you could be forwarded to the bug tracker if wanted.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-02, 21:42

This is good idea. But, there is always 'a but' face-confused.png :

Who makes this wiki article and maintain it for each new revision?

Please don't misunderstand me. I really think it's a good idea, but the lack of contributors makes it hard to tackle... If someone is around for maintain such an article, the developers are surely willing to create a hint in the game.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-03, 08:18

I think a good first step would be to add the information to the game manual in the wiki:

https://wl.widelands.org/wiki/Game%20Manual/

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-03, 17:32

There could also be a new article "FAQ Build19" which contains version specific information. So each Version could get an own article with hints for players.

Such articles may also be nice for having a history from a players point of view. In contrast to the bug tracker, where more or less developer relevant, technical, information is stored.

face-smile.png

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-03, 19:39

Basically I think I like kaputtnik's idea of having a Build related FAQ for each release. It should be not to much effort to maintain this page. Every observations made by players or developers for example on the RC could be rated and evaluated if there is some value referencing it in this FAQ. Is there any possibility to judge for this in the bugtracker? If this solution will be pursued I could offer some time to think about a proposal for a Workaround from a player's perspective.

Top Quote
Vassili
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-11-03, 19:48

While reading your posts, i was thinking: why do not add a bug report in the b20? Not a external and closed thing like Transiflex, an ingame window who will send strings to widelands developers team.

Edited: 2016-11-03, 19:53

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-04, 05:47

Our bugtracker is on Launchpad, actually, not on Transifex. And it is FLOSS.

While it's a good idea to make bug reporting more easy for the players, implementing such a feature isn't trivial, and it would need to create a Launchpad login in any case - how do we keep the account information secure? What happens if we should decide to move our code and bug tracker somewhere else, e.g. to GitHub?

Reporting bugs on the forum is perfectly fine for those who don't want to get an account on Launchpad, the developers always create a bug report off the things what we need there.

Implementing submitting things from in-game would certainly be a nice feature to have, but I would then use it first to allow map up- and download.

Anybody who has tips and tricks to share, just start a page on the Wiki. I don't see the need to do anything complicated here. The information should structure and restructure itself naturally once we have some, as long as people work on it.

Edited: 2016-11-04, 05:48

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-04, 05:57

GunChleoc wrote:

While it's a good idea to make bug reporting more easy for the players, [...]

Having such a feature in the game will result in lots of duplicate bugs, i fear.

Top Quote