Latest Posts

Topic: Error when saving replays

Zykure

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2009-08-26, 21:01

Hi!

Widelands really is a cool game. Great job! face-grin.png face-grin.png I like it far more than Settlers II, mainly because of the advanced elements like upgradable buildings/workers and different "tech-trees" for the different tribes.

But sometimes (which is too often .. every 15 minutes or so), I get an "Unexpected error":

[src/filesystem/disk_filesystem.cc:490] Write to <home>/.widelands/replays/2009-08-26T21:39:14 singleplayer.wrpl.wss failed

This is really annoying, because I have to reload my last savegame. I even changed the autosave interval to one minute, but these errors all the time take much of the fun out of the game.

I don't know why I get this error. I looked into the sources, but the function which is referenced is just a general routine for saving stuff. Maybe I could disable this replay-stuff somehow?

Top Quote
sigra

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2009-08-26, 21:56

That is not the replay, it is the syncstream (ss). It can take several !GiByte. Probably you are out of disk space. I assume that the current SVN version has disk space checks, which are supposed to prevent this kind of error.

Edited: 2009-08-26, 21:57

Top Quote
Zykure

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2009-08-27, 09:06

Thanks for the quick answer!

I thought of something like that, because I only had a few hundred MiB of free space. So I have removed some stuff to get more space, if it doesn't help I'll simply symlink the "replays" directory to some other partition.

But tell me, why is it even necessary to store Gigabytes of data when playing WL?

Top Quote
sigra

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2009-08-27, 19:11

Zykure wrote: But tell me, why is it even necessary to store Gigabytes of data when playing WL?

For debugging. The game logic generates special codes during the game execution. During the replay, the same same codes should be generated, to show that the game is identical to when it was first executed. If it is not, it is a bug (or the game logic was changed in some way). When playing multiplayer games, it is also necessary that the game is identical on all systems.

Top Quote
Zykure

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2009-08-27, 19:59

Okay, I see.

So, now the game runs very stable. That means the problem really was caused by too little free space on my home partition.

Thanks for your help! face-smile.png face-smile.png

Top Quote