Latest Posts

Topic: Snatch the damned snacks

didli
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-01-27, 09:59

Hi everyone ! For some reason, I'm struggling with snacks.
Everything is fine until I need snacks, and I'm ensure why actually, so I think I need some strategy advices - -'.
I have quite a lot of farms, but despite that, bakeries won't work efficiently (most of the time, they're stuck to 20% max). Inn keep making rations (and they drive me mad doing so). So can you please share how do you keep your economy going smoothly when snacks are needed ? Thanks !

---------------------------------------------------------------
Plan B : stick to plan A until it works

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-27, 10:39

I am assuming that you are playing Barbarians.

You also need to provide beer and fish or meat - do you have enough of that?

For the beer, you need a microbrewery, which then consumes wheat and water, just like the bakery. So, you will need more farms and wells.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
didli
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-01-27, 11:06

Yes, Barbarians. Hmm ... maybe I'm a little too slow on building enough microbreweries. And I've seen elsewhere in this forum you need (at least ?) 4 farms for one bakery ? Do you surround the bakery with farms ?

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2016-01-27, 12:41

In other games, it's easy to produce new soldiers, but remember, Widelands is economy-based, not battle-based.

My advice? View the bakery and see what they're missing. if they have 7/8 meat but only 1/8 beer, then you likely needs more microbreweries, so look at one of them and see what they need (or, if they have no shortages and a high efficiency, you may simply need more of them).

Also, keep in mind that farms require a bit of empty space around them to plant crops. IIRC they require five spots around them (although I tend to leave more, just in case).

Finally, if all other solutions fail and you have a large empire, check for bottlenecks -- an intersection can only hold 8 wares at a time, so traffic jams are possible. If you get one, my advice is to decentralize the map by adding more warehouses and/or spreading out buildings of a specific type (if you have one bakery each in Bretagne, Lorraine, Marseilles, and Aquitaine, there's less traffic than in all four were in Lorraine).

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-27, 12:45

Could you provide a savegame or a screenshot with the window of the Inn and the Stock (Shortcut "i")? You have to upload it to an external filehoster.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-27, 14:14

DragonAtma wrote:

Finally, if all other solutions fail and you have a large empire, check for bottlenecks -- an intersection can only hold 8 wares at a time, so traffic jams are possible. If you get one, my advice is to decentralize the map by adding more warehouses and/or spreading out buildings of a specific type (if you have one bakery each in Bretagne, Lorraine, Marseilles, and Aquitaine, there's less traffic than in all four were in Lorraine).

Traffic jams are not very common if you are using only 2-units-long roads (the shortest distance between two flags). Decentralizing economy may or may not help. I try to avoid decetnralizing and it helps to make everything fast.

To answer a question: farms should not surround bakery. They should stay alone for small distance (less buildings nearby = more fields = better efficiency).

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-27, 15:34

unfortunately there is no real way to fix it. barbarians, after they must upgrade the mines, are voracious consumers of grain. it takes 3 grains to make a pitta bread, plus 1 for the beer/small beer, so it takes 4 grains to make a snack. And barbarian farms work more slowly than those of other tribes: they make one grain in 100 seconds on average. So it takes a farm working 400 seconds to make a snack. Compare with empire needing 3 grains to make one (one for the meat in a piggery, one for the bread, and one for the beer) and having farms that can make one grain in 80 seconds, for a total of 240 seconds of farm working time for one snack.

A barbarian bakery can make a bread every 30 seconds, so a single bakery can work the outcome of 9 farms. that's why even with plenty of farms the bakeries have low productivity.

So, there is nothing really to do, except making plenty of farms and accepting that you'll never have the same productivity you had with 'superficial' mines, nor you will have the same productivity of other tribes.

I think barbarians should be rebalanced to need less bread, because if they fail to rush in early game, they become absolutely useless.

P.S. check that you also have enough water to process all that grain. generally one has plenty of wells, but you never know...

Top Quote
didli
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-01-27, 16:14

> *DragonAtma wrote:*
>
> (...) but remember, Widelands is economy-based, not battle-based.
>
And I prefer it that way. I like to force my little barbarians slaves (this game really shows the worst part of my dictatorial personality) into building things ^^, and not get their a** kicked.
Thank you everyone, I will try again (I'm on the 'Far North' Mission) keeping your advices in my head.

Top Quote
fk
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-01-28, 13:15

king_of_nowhere wrote:

it takes 3 grains to make a pitta bread

Almost correct, it creates two pitta bread every time out of three wheat.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-28, 15:08

huh, i never noticed that because it makes a long pause between the delivery of the two breads. so it's only 2 and a half grains for a snack, 250 seconds against 240 for empire. yet barbarians still seem to be much slower in their advanced economy. i wonder why.

Top Quote