Latest Posts

Topic: Shipped maps overhaul

GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-02-01, 19:39

Nasenbaer wrote:

Hi everyone,

Sorry for my late reply. kapputnik wrote me a message last week, regarding the Wisent Valley map. Unfortunally I got hit by the flu and therefore wasn't directly answering...

I hope you're feeling better now!

Regarding the Author naming: This is something we could discuss anyways - A lot of work is put into many places of the game - source code in hundred-thousands of lines, 2D and 3D graphics, scripts, music, sound and maps - everyone has the right to be named in the Developer list for her/his contribution, but the maps are the only place where there is an extra naming of authors.

Just saying - for me it would be okay to simply change all bundled maps to "Widelands Development Team" - up to you and the other map authors. So do as you prefare :).

I am not a map author, but regarding the UI, we could gain some valuable vertical space by removing the author information and just having it in the map's elemental packet and on the website map downloads. Of course, if authors still prefer to be mentioned for the non-official maps, we will leave it in.

Regarding finnish lakes: this map was meant to be played 2vs1.

If you could say which players, I can add this to the map info as "Suggested Teams" face-smile.png

Edited: 2016-02-01, 19:39

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2016-02-01, 21:06

Finnish Lakes would have to be Yellow vs (Red & Blue); Yellow is clearly in the strongest position. I see two problems with the 2vs1, though:
(1) If Yellow is an AI set to Headquarters, there's a decent chance the AI won't get around to teching their way up to new soldiers until Red and/or Blue reaches them; it's a risk with all maps, but a bigger risk on smaller maps (including this one).
(2) If you set Yellow to Fortified Village, they don't start with ANY buildings (except their starting Castle). Naturally, they can't play that way.

So even if you're doing it as a 2vs1, you may wish to move Yellow's starting point.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-02-01, 22:09

kaputtnik wrote:

Thanks Nasenbaer and fk face-smile.png

Just a personal taste, but I prefare "beautiful maps" that are 70%-80% fair over pure fair but "mechanic" maps.

I fully agree. The "fun of viewing" is a big part of widelands.

And I instead like "mechanic maps". I don't play maps for beauty. If I want to look at a beautiful map, I open it in the editor and go around. Or I go on google maps.

And I think the game should cater to both kind of players. It's not fair to not include geometrical maps just because most people don't like them. Some people do, and nobody forces the other people to play those maps.

But I don't mind if a map manages to be beautful and balanced at the same time. In fact, I've done plenty of work on the editor to bring the best imagery out of google maps and turn it into a finely-balanced map.

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-02-02, 01:23

king_of_nowhere wrote:

kaputtnik wrote:

Thanks Nasenbaer and fk face-smile.png

Just a personal taste, but I prefare "beautiful maps" that are 70%-80% fair over pure fair but "mechanic" maps.

I fully agree. The "fun of viewing" is a big part of widelands.

And I instead like "mechanic maps". I don't play maps for beauty. (...) It's not fair to not include geometrical maps just because most people don't like them. Some people do, and nobody forces the other people to play those maps.

I like maps where I can produce dozens of lvl 10 soldiers and fight. That is why I "produced" The Nile map. It is geometrical. But in my opinion it is also beautiful in some points. When I was looking at uploaded maps here, on Widelands server, I've discovered that there is plenty of "beautiful" and almost the same number of "geometrical" maps. Some geometries are hidden, but most of them are visible. For me good map contain both ways: fairness and beauty. Fair is not always "equal" or "balanced". Some imbalance is also needed (players are usually with different skills). Beauty is almost always smooth lines and variety with height of terrain. There is almost no good and pure geometrical map (I can only think about 2 of them now). But for sure I don't want to see pure geometrical map in Widelands official build. Balanced and geometrical + some variety to the terrain exists there and it should be enough.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-02-07, 00:22

I started to make modifications to older maps. Where can I submit them? we're planning to swap them for the older maps, so it would make little sense to post them in the map section.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-02-07, 09:45

The easiest way would be to create a branch on Launchpad. You will need a Bazaar client for that - you can get one here: http://bazaar.canonical.com/

We have general instructions in the Wiki: https://wl.widelands.org/wiki/BzrPrimer/

If that is too techy for you, I could make a step-by-step guide for Linux or Windows for you.

Edited: 2016-02-07, 09:45

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-02-07, 09:59

king_of_nowhere wrote:

I started to make modifications to older maps.

Cool face-smile.png

Where can I submit them? we're planning to swap them for the older maps, so it would make little sense to post them in the map section.

Why does it make little sense? There are several maps with different versions already there, so why not the shipped maps too? But maybe it would be better to have them in one place. You could attach the maps to this bugreport

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-02-07, 16:04

I submitted last bastion, comet island and glacier lake to that bug report. It took surprisingly little time, I could have done it before. I'm not touching finnish lakes because it was mentioned it is meant to be played 1v2. I haven't touched wisent valley because we could specify that the 5th player is only meant as a challenge and must be removed to play in 4 otherwise. Anything else left to do?

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-02-07, 16:35

Thanks face-smile.png

• Wisent Valley: We could add a sentence to the description (or to the Hint) like: "Remove/deactivate the 5th player for an easier game".
  • Finnish Lakes: Do have a suggestion which teams has to be set?

Anything else left to do?

If we drop "Volcanic Winter" there is a two player map missing. Any suggestions?

I will update the first post later... now i have cook something...

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-02-07, 20:28

Ok now, first post edited.

Tomorrow i will make then a branch containing the so far new/revised maps.

Top Quote