Latest Posts

Topic: Shipped maps overhaul

king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-27, 22:00

einstein has figured me out; as soon as i read that there was an "unwinnable" map and had some free time I had to try it. I did it, but it was difficult - almost as difficult as my craziest maps, I'd say. I expanded only northwest, made a very fast labirynth and killed blue player, then made a warehouse there and let the other players kill my headquarter while I built my economy far from them. i didn't buuild it fast enough so i ended up fighting almost to the last soldier against the red and green players, but after i got one soldier promoted fully it became easy. Anyway I agree, black player makes no sense there. that map is good without it.

Re: balance:

Not all maps have to be balanced. Some players enjoy the challenge of a more difficult starting position without wanting to go all the way to a solo challenge, while others like to have it easy. So it's not bad to have a few unbalanced maps in the mix. they should, however, be labeled as such.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-28, 04:52

king_of_nowhere wrote:

Not all maps have to be balanced. Some players enjoy the challenge of a more difficult starting position without wanting to go all the way to a solo challenge, while others like to have it easy. So it's not bad to have a few unbalanced maps in the mix. they should, however, be labeled as such.

For unbalanced maps, we could also add map hints, so the players will know which positions to choose for an easy/hard challenge.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-28, 08:44

I assume every map designer allows us to ship his map with the game?

Referring to "Wisent Valley" which was designed by Nasenbaer: I believe he has no trouble with modifying it. We could leave his name as author and add a small addition like "Author: Nasenbaer community edition" and call this map "Wisent Valley v2" or "Wisent Valley CE".

What about the other maps which should be edited? Who wants to do this?

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-28, 11:39

kaputtnik wrote:

I assume every map designer allows us to ship his map with the game?

The upload form doesn't specify a licence, so we will need to ask each author to release the map under the GPL.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-28, 12:58

GunChleoc wrote:

we will need to ask each author to release the map under the GPL.

All my maps can be under GPL license. Not a problem face-smile.png I want to bring something to the community!

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-28, 15:10

kaputtnik wrote:

What about the other maps which should be edited? Who wants to do this?

I can do some of that, but not right now; I'll be very busy for the next 10 days or so, but I will be unemployed afterwards, at least until I find a new job. By the way, since there was a call to use more forested mountain, and to add fertile terrain to last bastion and comet island, we could kill two birds with a stone and swap the old mountains for forested mountains in those maps.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-28, 15:57

Sounds good to me. Good luck finding a new job though!

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-02-01, 10:40

Hi everyone,

Sorry for my late reply. kapputnik wrote me a message last week, regarding the Wisent Valley map. Unfortunally I got hit by the flu and therefore wasn't directly answering...

kaputtnik wrote: Referring to "Wisent Valley" which was designed by Nasenbaer: I believe he has no trouble with modifying it. We could leave his name as author and add a small addition like "Author: Nasenbaer community edition" and call this map "Wisent Valley v2" or "Wisent Valley CE".

I completely agree! All of my work done for Widelands is GPLed - except the Widelands font, which is OFL (simply because I had a discussion with a font guru and he told me to license it that way...), but well the OFL is mentioned to be 100% GPL compatible anyways. Therefore everone has the right to edit, change, improve and even deteriorate face-wink.png every part of it.

Regarding the Author naming: This is something we could discuss anyways - A lot of work is put into many places of the game - source code in hundred-thousands of lines, 2D and 3D graphics, scripts, music, sound and maps - everyone has the right to be named in the Developer list for her/his contribution, but the maps are the only place where there is an extra naming of authors.

Just saying - for me it would be okay to simply change all bundled maps to "Widelands Development Team" - up to you and the other map authors. So do as you prefare :).

One last input regarding the maps - and just a small input. I am inactive for quite some time and am honestly not aware of the current state of map quality - When we prepared the last two releases, there were ongoing discussions about map quality - which is good from my point of view - however it always seemed to me, that most people cared more about a 100% fairness regarding the starting conditions than they cared about the look. Unfortunally to make a map 100% fair means to mirror the map and in many cases this leads to unnatural maps.

Just a personal taste, but I prefare "beautiful maps" that are 70%-80% fair over pure fair but "mechanic" maps.

Regarding the Wisent Valley map: this map was initially build up to test the defaultAI, as it posses different starting conditions. Removing the middle player is completely fine for me.

Regarding finnish lakes: this map was meant to be played 2vs1.

Cheers, Peter

Top Quote
fk
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-02-01, 11:37

Nasenbaer wrote:

All of my work done for Widelands is GPLed

The same for me, just add something with 'community' or remove the author field altogether.

Along the RIver has become incompatible because of the now missing Stronghold, but if anyone can find a fix, please go ahead.

Speaking personally, I recommend to include the latest version of Full Moon.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-02-01, 17:00

Thanks Nasenbaer and fk face-smile.png

Just a personal taste, but I prefare "beautiful maps" that are 70%-80% fair over pure fair but "mechanic" maps.

I fully agree. The "fun of viewing" is a big part of widelands.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote