Latest Posts

Topic: Random choice of soldiers

drachentoeter
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2015-09-15, 22:03

Hi,

http://student.agh.edu.pl/~rak/widelands/files/StrategyByEinstein/StrategyForWidelands0.05.pdf

says: "If you have one level 10, and you attack with one soldier, most of the times the level 10 will be the one to attack. "

However, I experience that although I've got one level 10 soldier per house, all kind of soldiers come out if I attack with one soldier.

Any comments/solutions?

Oh BTW: Any possibility of attaching a savegame in this forum?

Edited: 2015-09-15, 22:05

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-09-15, 22:19

drachentoeter wrote:

Oh BTW: Any possibility of attaching a savegame in this forum?

Sorry, this is currently not possible face-sad.png You have to use an external filehoster and link to the file in your post.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
drachentoeter
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2015-09-15, 22:30

I should add that I play bzr7528[trunk]

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-09-16, 03:12

yeah, good point. when i wrote that guide it seemed to work, but it was actually chance. i tried to consistently choose which soldier it sends out, but without much success. I've noticed that among all the soldiers in a fortress, the computer is most likely to send out the last one (in the order you see them when opening the building). Also, most of the time the soldier in the first slot will be the one to stay behind. But those are not 100% guarantee.

Furthemore, clicking soldiers out doesn't always result in the soldier i want occupying that position; sometimes it rearrange them in strange and unpredictable ways. My previous belief that the level 10 will go out first came from a game where the level 10 was in the last slot, it went out, it killed a few enemies, then it went back and got back in the last slot. But it was chance, and not very reproduciblle.

The situation is even more compliated if there are several buildings that can send soldiers: in that case, the program normally send a soldier from the farthest building first, but again, that's not a guarantee.

Rigth now, I don't have a reliable solution. I either wait to have two level 10 soldiers, puut them in the same building, then kick out all the other soldiers so that I am sure one level 10 soldier will go out, or i attack with many soldiers and accept the losses of a few unpromoted soldiers, confident that the level 10 will let me kill more than i lose. depends on situation. But yes, I don't know a reliable way to always get out the level 10.

I suppose I should update the manual and then ask einstein to update the page, but I'm too lazy to do it. it's not a big deal anyway, everything else works fine.

Edited: 2015-09-16, 03:14

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-09-16, 08:28

We are working on an improved algorithm, but it still has an issue to fix: https://code.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/find_attack_soldiers/+merge/245276

If you need to attach a savegame to something, the easiest way is to open up a new bug report in Launchpad. I don't think that we need one in this case though; let's wait until we get the new algorithm in.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote