Latest Posts

Topic: Barbarian Tavern-Inn-Big Inn Remodel

chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-21, 18:08

tavern1-sign t1sign inn inn big inn big

Here are the signs (1&2) on tavern1. Personally I prefer the black sign2 for its better contrast.

Comments?

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-21, 18:11

I tried to hang the sign from a projecting beam at the corner of the building, but the angle made it very hard to identify. Therefor, I put it on the roof like the axes at the axe factory.

I see little people.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-21, 18:15

Dunno, I think with the actual model it is eeasier to distinguish taverns from inns and so the two should be differentiated a bit more. but maybe it's only because i'm not used to them, but I'm used to the old models.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-21, 18:24

Perhaps I should do what I said I would. face-smile.png Change the color of the roof!

tavern17a t17a inn inn big inn big

What do you think? We might even be able to do away with the signs? face-smile.png

Edited: 2015-01-21, 19:25

I see little people.

Top Quote
fuchur

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2015-01-21, 18:48

You're quite fast in finding new things to work on face-wink.png

Nice new buildings. In the latest post inn and big inn are good to distinguish. The different roof color for the tavern works quite well. Maybe you could try to give it a different shape, too. I mean change the round overhang of the roof to a straight one with a gable, similiar to the new warehouse.

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-21, 18:54

Hi, couple of suggestions to this proposal: https://wl.widelands.org/forum/post/12169/

inn: sign should be on inn (the more complex building - the higher type)
inn: can windows on the upper front be lighted up?
tavern: what about take that barrel with water away
tavern: there is a bread (?) on the table - can be taken away as well? Or made lower? Or of slightly different color?
inn: what about a window above barrels (upper floor)?

I dont know how difficult it is to implement, take this as a brainstorming ideas :)

Edited: 2015-01-21, 18:56

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-21, 19:02

@fuchur: Thanks for your suggestions. I try to keep the wares required for building a structure into account when I design them. The tavern uses thatchreed, so I gravitated to the thatch roof. There certainly are exceptions to this, but I like to show some natural evolution in the enhanced buildings bringing certain elements and design traits to the next generation.

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-21, 19:17

@Tibor: Thanks for your brainstorming!

Tibor wrote:

Hi, couple of suggestions to this proposal: https://wl.widelands.org/forum/post/12169/

inn: sign should be on inn (the more complex building - the higher type)

I see your logic.

inn: can windows on the upper front be lighted up?

I'll look into that. Nice idea!

tavern: what about take that barrel with water away

Can do.

tavern: there is a bread (?) on the table - can be taken away as well? Or made lower? Or of slightly different color?

The bread and birds on the spit are an homage to the original tavern. I think the original aim was to show some of the wares this building consumed or produced like the pile of coal outside the coalmine. I'll look into tweaking the bread.

inn: what about a window above barrels (upper floor)?

There is a danger of getting too complex with the models. At the scale they are viewed in the game, a lot of detail gets lost. I'm not always successful in finding the right balance between authenticity and getting a readily recognizable item that does not distract from the game play.

I dont know how difficult it is to implement, take this as a brainstorming ideas face-smile.png

I do appreciate your input. Thanks. face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-24, 02:04

I've tweaked the models a bit to hopefully make each more recognizable.

I've lighted the windows and doorways in the idle and work cycles and have created animation for the build and working cycles of each building. The idle state is shown in this graphic. I have realized rather late in the process that the big_inn's flag obscures the end window. I'll try putting a window at the left side of the inn and big_inn buildings. The second-floor railings are now bright white instead of player color which now graces the widow and door frames.

A graphic that shows all of the different player colors on the buildings has been posted in the bug report #677337.

To further emphasize the nature of the buildings, the working cycles show food on the tables, smoke from the fires and stacks of barrels.

I'll push a test branch so you can try these out for yourselves.

Comments are always welcome. face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-24, 03:01

Test branch lp:~chuckw20/widelands/Barbarian_Tavern_Inn_Big-Inn has been pushed.

I see little people.

Top Quote