Latest Posts

Topic: Constructing a trainingscamp

teppo

Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2014-03-09, 05:12

Barbarians build most of their stuff in small increments. However, training sites are an exception.

I think it would add to the gameplay, if barbarians would build their Trainingscamp in two steps: Bootcamp (trains only the first steps) -> Trainingscamp (like trainingscamp now).

This would be a small advantage for the barbarians in early game, especially if Bootcamp would require no gold to build, and of course it would mean that there is again one more upgrade to do.

Comments?

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-03-09, 13:23

In my opinion gold is needed to build trainigscamp. Every tribe need gold, so why should we add an exception?

And building anything in two steps always is an disadvantage and last for a longer time.

But we can consider building something like outpost and barrier for the Empire tribe: you can build both buildings and one can be also upgraded to the second one.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
teppo

Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2014-03-09, 16:27

Barbarians would still need gold. They just would not need it to build a bootcamp.

The tribes do not need to be equal, they just need to be balanced. And if you are still worried: Atlanteans have evade, defense and health training available once they have build their labyrinth. From this point of view, my proposal would actually brong them closer to each other!

Top Quote
fk
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2014-03-09, 18:13

teppo wrote:

Barbarians would still need gold. They just would not need it to build a bootcamp.

I don't know, in my opinion the importance of gold has already been diminished too much, compared to the original game.

Atlanteans have evade, defense and health training available once they have build their labyrinth.

That feature makes the Atlantean trainings more efficient (a better filled pipeline), which is fair because they start with less soldiers and they need more farmland. And beside this, except for the evade training those points are relatively worthless in combat.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-03-09, 20:21

I don't know, in my opinion the importance of gold has already been diminished too much, compared to the original game.

face-smile.png There is no original game. Widelands has outgrown s2 and the economy is entirely different. Gold in s2 is something entirely different than gold in widelands. The same applies to trunk, stones, iron and any other ware.

I like the idea in general, because it fits the barbarians really - they should be a tribe that can start really quick, but need constant evolution. However, having evade soldiers earlygame might make them super strong on small maps - where they are already at an advantage because they only need one ware to make soldiers. In my experience though, strongbeer is more of the limiting factor when you can start to train your soldiers. So I am really intrigued by this suggestion.

Top Quote
teppo

Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2014-03-10, 03:45

However, having evade soldiers earlygame might make them super strong

I was speaking of Trainingscamp. Evade is trained at Battle Arena.

Would it be too cruel if the upgraded Trainingscamp would require an experienced trainer?

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-03-10, 08:37

A, sorry. I always mix those two buildings up. I think an experienced trainer would be quite a big nerf - in fact thinking more about this, it could be a nerf instead of a buff in total because the upscaling will take significantly longer and strongbeer is probably more time limiting than building the trainingscamp in the first place.

Top Quote
fk
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2014-03-10, 09:03

@Siver: small note: I have never seen s2, I meant s1. That's why I know what maps should act like. face-wink.png

@Teppo: It would make it much to easy for the barbarians, they would show up with 2 attack values, where others have none. And there is something more about the Atlantean labyrinth, without gold it can only perform 3 upgrades (out of 5).

Top Quote
teppo

Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2014-03-10, 09:20

SirVer:

it could be a nerf instead of a buff in total

vs. fk:

It would make it much to easy for the barbarians

So there are at least 2 different opinions.. I guess that this is since fk thinks of early game situation, and SirVer considers a late-game situation?

fk, would you agree that this would not help barbarians in overall if the trainer would need to gain experience before a Bootcamp could be upgraded into a Trainingscamp?

I meant s1

I do not have Settlers, but it seems to be a semi-God here.. Off-topic: Does anybody know if it is available for download (at a fee) at some old games shop, and does it run over wine?

Top Quote
fk
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2014-03-10, 09:48

teppo wrote:

So there are at least 2 different opinions.. I guess that this is since fk thinks of early game situation, and SirVer considers a late-game situation?

If it is not about the start of the game, we would not be discussing a trainingscamp/bootcamp without need for gold. But more important, with this option there will be no more a 'late in the game'.

fk, would you agree that this would not help barbarians in overall if the trainer would need to gain experience before a Bootcamp could be upgraded into a Trainingscamp?

It makes no sense to me to change the trainingscamp. I would never select another tribe again, see above.

Training a master brewer takes me 35 minutes. Do the math. ("Shall we play a game?")

I do not have Settlers, but it seems to be a semi-God here.. Off-topic: Does anybody know if it is available for download (at a fee) at some old games shop, and does it run over wine?

The DOS-version (= s1) is for free and it runs perfectly with dosbox. I cannot recommend it because of it's boringness, but it is a game from 1994 and I am sure that most people would be surprised to a very high degree, especially by its sounds and animations. It is certainly interesting to watch the settlers concept in its 'original' (sorry) form for educational and historical reasons, for whatever that's worth.

http://www.myabandonware.com/game/serf-city-life-is-feudal-21o

Edited: 2014-03-10, 09:52

Top Quote