Latest Posts

Topic: New Website Design

Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-04-19, 22:30

Wanted to state that there should be a line break before the real quote, but it seems you changed the format already. face-wink.png

Nice. face-grin.png

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
Shevonar

Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2012-04-19, 22:33

Wanted to state that there should be a line break before the real quote, but it seems you changed the format already.

The problem is that I cannot enforce the line break. You can always edit it out. But it is inserted correctly when you click the "Quote" button.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-04-19, 22:44

Yes, that’s what I meant. face-smile.png

Oh, another thing: Will the placeholder for the avatar always be there (I suppose, it is just a placeholder)? For me it feels like someone want to push the ones without avatar, to get one.

And something I tried out: When using the top button, wouldn’t it be wise to scroll up to the title, not the first post? That’s just what I would expect…

Edit: Forgot one question: In which way do you format the texts? HTML or what we have here or Wiki-like or something else?

Edited: 2012-04-19, 22:45

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
Shevonar

Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2012-04-19, 23:03

Venatrix wrote: Yes, that’s what I meant. Oh, another thing: Will the placeholder for the avatar always be there (I suppose, it is just a placeholder)? For me it feels like someone want to push the ones without avatar, to get one.

I thought of adding a standard placeholder avatar to make the design more consistent not to push users to add an own avatar picture. Currently I have some problems with the default avatar, so I am not sure if I will keep it.

And something I tried out: When using the top button, wouldn’t it be wise to scroll up to the title, not the first post? That’s just what I would expect…

It is the same behavior as on the current page, but I think you are right. I will change that.

Edit: Forgot one question: In which way do you format the texts? HTML or what we have here or Wiki-like or something else?

Which text? I didn't change anything in the forums code. Except of some bug fixes and small changes for the new design.

Edited: 2012-04-19, 23:03

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-04-19, 23:26

Shevonar wrote:

I thought of adding a standard placeholder avatar to make the design more consistent not to push users to add an own avatar picture. Currently I have some problems with the default avatar, so I am not sure if I will keep it.

What about providing a hand full of standard avatars from whom a user can choose? Perhaps from Widelanders? face-wink.png

Which text? I didn't change anything in the forums code. Except of some bug fixes and small changes for the new design.

Right, just a question. face-smile.png

So, now there are a few more things that came to my mind (tell me, when I get on your nerves ;-)):

• Is it possible to quote several posts in one post just with clicking them? Would be cool.

• The icons for top and quote are too big IMO.

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
Shevonar

Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2012-04-19, 23:34

What about providing a hand full of standard avatars from whom a user can choose? Perhaps from Widelanders?

Good idea. Some coding is necessary though. Will see what I can do...

Is it possible to quote several posts in one post just with clicking them? Would be cool.

Currently a new page is loaded when clicking the quote button. I guess you thing of something like inserting the quote in the reply box at the end of the page when clicking the quote button. Possible in theory, but again: coding is needed for that face-wink.png

The icons for top and quote are too big IMO.

They are as big as the others: 21px. I can give them more empty border if you like, but that has no high priority IMO face-smile.png

Feel free to go on my nerves as much as you like. In the worst case I will ignore your posts silently face-tongue.png

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-04-20, 11:13

Okay I see... It seems to be too easy to impress me... I just compare the current design with the new one and am amazed :-D.

Would it be possible to have a testaccount? to see the internals like posting user menu, etc. pp. ?

Top Quote
Shevonar

Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2012-04-20, 13:18

Would it be possible to have a testaccount? to see the internals like posting user menu, etc. pp. ?

You got a message with login information. Everyone else who is interested should send me a PM face-smile.png

But there are still some pages that don't have the new design yet. Here is a (incomplete?) list of sites to do:

• wiki, developers, changelog
  • maps
  • profiles
  • online_help

The maps and online_help might get some code changes during the redesign, but first I have to make them work on my server... It is hard to design a page when no content is there. Who did create the maps and/or online_help system in the first place? Is it all SirVer's work? I might need some help to understand and configure everything correctly face-wink.png

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-04-20, 17:43

yepo, basically all of the functionality was done by me. The design was stolen from the prior website mostly and then janus and some others patched things here and there.

Top Quote
Shevonar

Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2012-04-22, 15:18

Currently I am working a lot on the new homepage, though no much obvious things happen. Yesterday I cleaned up the backend of the maps upload and in the end I changed nearly every line. Until tonight I might have finished the new templates for the maps section.

The other thing I worked on is the login box. By looking at the ajax map upload (which I removed) I had the idea how we could keep the login box and have SSL encryption. When clicking login an iframe with the https login page is loaded, the login information is copied from the login box to the https login page, which is then submitted and thus logging you in and redirecting you to the correct site. This solution is a bit hackish but I think it is the best we can do.

Top Quote