Latest Posts

Topic: WL Tournament 2013

Kristin

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2013-07-29, 20:25

There will be another Widelands Tournament! It will take place 23rd September till 3rd November.
Everyone is invited to take part, beginners as well as pros. Have fun to play Widelands together! For all information about dates and rules see the wiki page WLTournamentTwentyThirteen.
Questions can be posted here or directly addressed to Kristin.

Edited: 2013-07-31, 20:59

Top Quote
simplypeachy

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2013-07-30, 21:03

https://wl.widelands.org/wiki/WLTournamentTwentyThirteen/

WARNING: New-style view packet not found. There may be strange effects regarding unseen areas.
_aD on IRC

Top Quote
simplypeachy

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2013-07-30, 21:07

PM sent - count me in! I'm looking forward to this. Especially since I fared very badly last time face-smile.png

WARNING: New-style view packet not found. There may be strange effects regarding unseen areas.
_aD on IRC

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2013-07-31, 11:08

The new rules more or less require the players to use newest development version, did I read it right ? This is of course advantageous for testing. How is the winner determined if the current snapshot happens to contain a bug which causes the game to crash in a competition play? I guess that development code are more likely to have crash-y bugs, than the releases.

The Tournament replays are also very educating to watch. If they are done using various development branches, then replaying becomes more difficult. It would be nice to have easy instructions how to obtain needed binaries for each replay. I would guess that Windows people would like to have links to the devel build installer .exe's, while random Linux distro users might benefit from simple recipes how to pull and build, as there are too many Gnu-like OS variations around.

Thanks for organizing another tournament!

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-07-31, 15:01

The new rules more or less require the players to use newest development version, did I read it right ?

Not more or less - this is a strict requirement. This tournament should be fun, but mostly it should find bugs so that the next release is as stable as it can get. So yes, crashes can happen (and happened in other tournaments before). Either the two players can agree who was "ahead" or the game needs to be replayed to determine a winner. This has not been a problem so far though - people were very relaxed in the tournament.

The Tournament replays are also very educating to watch. If they are done using various development branches, then replaying becomes more difficult. It would be nice to have easy instructions how to obtain needed binaries for each replay.

We have the nightly builds for the replays of the tournament around for a while. And the building site contains information to build widelands. It is neither convenient nor easy to watch replays of older games though. Note that replay format does not change with every version of widelands, especially most bug fixes do not modify the game logic, so replays from older versions can still be played unchanged. This usually applies to tournament replays too.

Top Quote
Kristin

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2013-07-31, 21:54

How is the winner determined if the current snapshot happens to contain a bug which causes the game to crash in a competition play?

You are right, this can happen. We suggest to activate automatic savegames e.g. every 5 minutes so we can resume the game after a desync. If there is a serious bug and the game cannot be played to the end, we have to find an individual solution as sirver said. I think we will find a solution who works for everyone then face-smile.png

Edited: 2013-07-31, 21:59

Top Quote
Kristin

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2013-07-31, 22:01

simplypeachy wrote:

PM sent - count me in! I'm looking forward to this. Especially since I fared very badly last time face-smile.png

It's not to win but to play... face-smile.png Thanks for registrating. Have fun!

Top Quote
Kristin

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2013-07-31, 22:08

teppo wrote: The Tournament replays are also very educating to watch.

The old replays can be downloaded, links are on the wiki sites
WLTournamentTwentyTen
WLTournamentTwentyTwelve

But they are not viewable with the current version (at least the two I tried). You have to view them with a version similar to the one of the replay.

Top Quote
cghislai

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-07-31, 22:29

I really look forward to play this one, but I can't yet say for sure if I will be able to make it. I took the liberty to add a sentence to the rule concerning the autocrat rules since it has changed since last version.

Top Quote
Kristin

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2013-09-22, 17:42

Yeah! We have 16 participants for the tournament. I'll make the bracket this evening and link it here. The participants get information about their games per PM.

Top Quote