Latest Posts

Topic: campaign pictures

SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-06-15, 14:55

Bjorn, as you show so much dedication, let me offer some construtive criticism for the art then. I hope it also gives you a little direction.

First, the stories in the campaigns have very little humor in them - in fact most of them are concerned with very serious topics. But I think that your humorous drawing style still fits pretty well with the whole. Just something to keep in mind.

I like the old picture of Thron so much, because it captures him for me very well: He is a rather young man thrown into a situation (being the leader) that he is not sure he is ready for. He is melancholy and thoughtful (untypical traits for a barbarian, so it fits that he is rather skinny in yours and the old image). Thron is also forced to fight his brothers and he sees the world his father build being destroyed. And he is no fan of war. He is the good guy in our story.

That said, your picture does not fit (my image) of Thron that well - he looks a little older (which is fine I guess, his job will bring white hairs to every skalp), but the tribal tatooes make him very warrior like. Also he looks like he's full of mischief and slightly annoyed. I wouldn't trust him and I can not really identify with him as a player (personal opinion).

Your image looks a lot like I image Kalitath to look - the traitor that attacks Thron in the third mission. He has no text in the campaign yet - so his image is not used yet. But he will be an important person in the atlanteans second mission.

Just my 2c, hope it helps face-smile.png

When you are interested in more backstory or concepts, we can skype at any time.

Top Quote
BjornKeks

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-06-16, 11:23

Thanks for the critique. I did not know the characters background. Kowing now I'll have to give the chieftain an other picture.

Is there somewhere a story-chart and character-chart? So I can look up, how every character behaves without having to play through the story. Because I'm not very interested in playing wl alone.

We could make my picture the look of this Kalitath fellow, if you say it'll suit him.

Lieber einen Lebkuchen, als einen toten Keks!

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-06-16, 11:49

If you really don't want to play them - just to make sure that you won't spoil your fun face-smile.png - Empire Story, Barbarian Story, Atlantean Story - those pages were used for the campaign development and thus are no more 100% complete, however they might give you at least the basic idea of the story and the characters. face-smile.png

Top Quote
Adamant

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2013-06-16, 19:21

How about a StoryWriter-Forum for Campaigns? Aside of ArtWork and Code there is Need for a good Story (Literal ArtWork) and an Idea how to design the Characters. This Idea due to SirVer wrote here that this Portrait doesn't match well his Idea of this Character but that Portrait match anyway his Idea of that Character and Björn's Answer he don't know the BackGround. AFAIK did Nasenbaer point to (completed) StoryLine of Tutorials (or Campaigns? I found no other than the Tutorials resp wasn't able to play other than the Tut as long as not played the Tut but never completet the Tut -- so I don't know if there are any playable Campaigns but never found and seld read that Term...) As the Tribes Story is still no completet but nevertheless already in WL-Wiki (reasonable!) a StoryWriter-Forum would be the right Position (for other Authors) to discuss their Campaign-Story with Players. As OSS-Game I expect that there are Players who like to create their own Stuff (with the Idea it's less hard than thought .. I think the Idea and more Tuturials are the driving Point here.) However, the Idea for a Campaign is for Players the first Step they can archive relative easily. I never readWL-Wiki due to I expected "there is all" (and nothing) but didn't expect these Stories resp got the Idea to find the GroundStory THERE. I think of WIKI as Encyclopedia and not as Library for all.

plz mov to proper thread face-smile.png

Ivan the Terrible is dead .. Genghis Khan is dead .. and I do not feel well, too.

Top Quote
BjornKeks

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-06-17, 19:57

Well, I read the story... but I think Adamant is right, there needs to be a story-forum.

I have not really a clue how the characters are... those who have written the story should make some characer profiles... not with spoilers. Just names, age and some characteristics... (if you have those, developing story is much more efficient) I'll really would like to do the portraits, but like this it's just a guessing-game :). Please give me some describing facts.

there are: Thron, Boldreth, Kalitat, Kelat, Colintan, Timon and Thunderhand... if there are more, please point them out to me. If you are afraid to spoil, just send me a message. Thanks.

And no worries, I'll keep my drawing style, but I wont make them ridicules ;). They'll fit.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-06-17, 20:27

I started something like that for the Empire Campaign: take a look here

Top Quote
BjornKeks

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-06-17, 20:37

Ah thanks. That helps a bit.

This "old man" from the barbarian story..."Khantrunk"... his only function is, to get the tutorial in the story, right? Because I did not find him in the story itself.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-06-18, 06:43

I think you are right about the old man.

The wiki is the place for the descriptions - I can help with the Atlanteans and the Barbarians, but I am currently swammped with work for Widelands that is urgent, so I would appreciate if someone else starts the pages and I only proofread them :).

Top Quote
Adamant

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2013-06-18, 12:18

Nasenbaer wrote:

I started something like that for the Empire Campaign: take a look here

A generic Matter is that something in a WorkShop looks different than in the WareShop. I mean as Player I like to read about Characters as a Kind of Customer while as (Co-)Author I need the WorkBench and a Material-Store where to look quickly what Stuff exist, a good View what Stuff other are working.

Another really problematic Point is that often Material exist (even good Quality) but no safe logical Way to find it. Eg the Link from Nasenbaer about Protagonists - I did fail to re-find it via HP-GUI. May be I could find if I search for Term Protagonists - but why I should if I don't know that Term is effective to find about - perhaps it's instead Story-BackGround, Characters, Actors etc. Anywhere I got 10000€ at Home - dunno where exactly and failed several Times to find it - what can I buy with? I hope I hit the Nail clearly with that Analogy.

Ivan the Terrible is dead .. Genghis Khan is dead .. and I do not feel well, too.

Top Quote
sofia33
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2013-08-27, 10:29

Iam not able to see the pics can anyone help please..

IMAGE UPLOAD

Top Quote