Latest Posts

Topic: Barbarian Warehouse Remodel

kingcreole

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2013-04-25, 18:41

ou, i guess since i left, i left questions unanswered, Astuur:

1) The Colours do differ from the old colours, but not from my other Models, i thought this colour might look a lot more realistic, should i change it back? 2) ouu, sorry i forgot to change that, maybe that was the reason i vanished, i tried to change it, made everything look awesome and then blender crashed and i forgot to save :D. I can believe that this actually happened like that face-grin.png

and why i decided to remodel it: well, i looked at the older building and i thought "how in the world should a barbarian tribe be so far developed, to get that building soo high and so heavy on the top", it bothered me quite a bit and i thought "they just can't make it, how should they get up there and ramm those logs inside the other logs to build that wall, it is hard enough to achieve on the ground, how should they manage it 5 meters off the ground" i allready modeled the building that far and was making the building animation, when those thoughts raced through my mind and well i guess thats when i thought "sad, but it seems like i can't make it look realistic with that older look, i should better get the storage underground, thats what a barbarian would do, even though it might look sad.. maybe if i change the colours a bit and add a little detail face-smile.png who knows, maybe i can make it get peacefull looking

live is my dancefloor as long as my lag works

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-04-25, 20:45

kingcreole wrote:what do you think about the model?

the workers can walk everywhere arround the building without hitting their toes >or jumping through roofs, maybe i sould put logs instead of planks onto that >little open air storage at the right, since the planks can be easily irritated >with a trapdoor.. anyway, the workers will walk freely, and to get to the storage >of the warehouse they use those stairs, wich i believe is a funny Idea since i >dunno if any other building in the game actualy has stairs...

In case anyone doubts the existence of real-life structures in the style of the orignal barbarian warehouse, take a look at the following photos, and yep, there is even one built with whole logs!

Link to information on a "stabbur"

kingcreole Norwegian stabburs

telemark

stilts horns another

I appreciate all of the time and hard work kingcreole has put into fine-tuning his present design (and RECREATION of the design). I have to admit, however, that I ,too, would like to see the same structure as these stabbur. The original design of the warehouse adds a great deal of interest and is readily identifiable on the game board (unlike some of the buildings I have created especially recently). face-smile.png

Scale of objects including buildings in Widelands is always subject to space/size limitations and yet they are expected to be "believable" or at least "acceptable" representations. (Atlanteans are the exception, of course, since they are entirely a fantasy.) The graphicians must always operate within these parameters asking themselves "Will it get the idea across without looking out of place?"

So it is painful for me to ask kingcreole to reconsider his design.

What do the rest of you say?

Edited: 2013-04-25, 20:47

I see little people.

Top Quote
kingcreole

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2013-04-25, 21:20

I must say, i am amazed, i'k sorry if i hurt any barbarians heart saying it was impossible, if i find out how they got those logs up there i'll definitely get a good building Animation aand reconsider my "attempt of damage reduction" face-wink.png maybe with an early crane, a Log with a heavy weight on One side and the Log on the other... Very impressive building anyway

live is my dancefloor as long as my lag works

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-04-25, 21:34

An idea for the building animation: position two logs leaning against the building for use as a ramp to help ease the lifting of logs. I don't know about using a heavy weight. They'd have to lift THAT somehow. face-smile.png

I picture 2 or 3 or more ropes from the top being used.

Edited to add picture.

or something like this: loglift

Our barbarians have ships with sails, they could use ropes with blocks and tackle like pictured in this link

Of course, our barbarians use split planks as building material, too. They would be lighter to handle. Boards are certainly evident in the photos above.

Like I say, just an idea (or two).

Edited: 2013-04-25, 21:56

I see little people.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-04-25, 22:24

I love the current barbarian warehouse design (the one in-game). I would also love to keep it if possible face-smile.png

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-15, 20:06

Work has recommenced on the warehouse. See the bug report for details: https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands-media/+bug/677337

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-15, 20:51

Here is a comparison:

Old: old
New: new Player color will replace the white elements on the building.

Comments?

I see little people.

Top Quote
fuchur

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2015-01-15, 23:30

In prinicple I think it looks good face-smile.png

2 comments:

• The walls of the old warehouse look more structured, like they have decoration elements. I liked that. The new walls are smooth.
  • I had a look at the screenshots at launchpad. There are a lot of player color elements. Especially the edge of the roof is very prominent. Maybe some elements less would look better?

Anyway, this is just my opinion. And thanks for your work! face-smile-big.png

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-16, 00:14

fuchur wrote:

In prinicple I think it looks good face-smile.png

2 comments:

• The walls of the old warehouse look more structured, like they have decoration elements. I liked that. The new walls are smooth.

I played with that a little, but looking at some of my photo references (above) I opted to go with flatter walls. I can work something up that is a little more ornate.

• I had a look at the screenshots at launchpad. There are a lot of player color elements. Especially the edge of the roof is very prominent. Maybe some elements less would look better?

face-smile.png Yes, I admit I went a little overboard with the player color. I'll reduce the number of elements to the roof eaves and one horizontal beam around the second story.

Anyway, this is just my opinion. And thanks for your work! face-smile-big.png

Thanks for your comments. I really do appreciate them.

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-16, 03:02

Here is a second sample of the warehouse with less player color and a little ornamentation. Let me hear your thoughts, please.

Original : old Sample #1: sample1 Sample #2: sample2

Sample #2 in game:

scrnshot2

I see little people.

Top Quote