Latest Posts

Topic: Importer/Merger

KittenKoder
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-04-04, 20:30

After a bit of discussion on IRC I have decided to work on a Python script for merging images as height maps and terrain maps, it will not do anything else mind you. Now the proposed method of doing this is as follows:

1. Create an empty map in the editor, setting up the dimensions and terrain type, then saving it uncompressed.

2. Enter command in the script's directory python wmf_merge.py "path/map.wmf" "path/heightimage.png" "path/terrainimage.png"

3. Load the map into the editor to add in the details.

The purpose of this is to make using real world lands easier as well as offer an easier and faster alternative for the primary layout design. Hopefully it will encourage more maps, though I came up with the idea because I want to do a campaign for the ships once the other features of seafaring are implemented. Any ideas or suggestions to perhaps make this a bit more robust.

Note: Some things will be impossible to merge with this sort of script, like player locations, because the script will use subpixel locations and averaging terms for determining actual values so the map and image can be different sizes.

Edit: Here it is, if there is interest I'll open a Sourceforge page for it.

http://digitalnoisegraffiti.com/backups/WidelandsMerge-v1.0.7z

If your browser doesn't recognize the file type, right click on the link itself then "save as."

Edited: 2013-04-09, 11:45

If the sea claims it, it belongs to the sea. If the land claims it, it still belongs to the sea.

Top Quote
ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2013-04-06, 10:45

Sounds cool!

In principle you should be able to create maps directly from Python without the initial round-trip through the editor. I think most of the files inside the zip file are fairly simple, but you'll have to dig around the Widelands source code to figure out exactly what may be needed, because there is no separate documentation. The source code is the documentation, basically face-wink.png

Top Quote
KittenKoder
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-04-06, 11:01

ixprefect wrote: Sounds cool! In principle you should be able to create maps directly from Python without the initial round-trip through the editor. I think most of the files inside the zip file are fairly simple, but you'll have to dig around the Widelands source code to figure out exactly what may be needed, because there is no separate documentation. The source code is the documentation, basically

Longer term, probably what will happen, but short term, that's too many files to dive right into. I also have to learn how to write scenarios still, and just now figuring out the actual gameplay of the ships as they are, and can't wait for those improvement. The graphics of the ships inspired me to want to play scenarios that actually utilized them .... and found out there are none yet.

If the sea claims it, it belongs to the sea. If the land claims it, it still belongs to the sea.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-04-06, 11:15

That is pretty cool! My original vision was to have a bunch of Lua plugins available inside the Editor that could help with similar use cases - but granted, reading images with Lua is pretty hard as it stands now 8).

The scenario documentation at wl.widelands.org/docs/ should help you to get pretty far with the scenario stuff. Let me know when you need help - I am basically responsible for all of it.

Top Quote
KittenKoder
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-04-06, 14:02

SirVer wrote: That is pretty cool! My original vision was to have a bunch of Lua plugins available inside the Editor that could help with similar use cases - but granted, reading images with Lua is pretty hard as it stands now 8). The scenario documentation at wl.widelands.org/docs/ should help you to get pretty far with the scenario stuff. Let me know when you need help - I am basically responsible for all of it.

Thank you, I love the entire game, instant fan of it, and the work people have done on the graphics for it is amazing. So I figured instead of whining about "when will ..." I'd help out with what I can. My talents and skills focus in tool and parts generation, accessories. I have a bit of an imagination but can only write interactive type stories, and after a bit of perusing the scenario stuff I figured it's a perfect way to actually help. Right now I'm focusing on learning the detailed mechanics of the game, so I can learn new ship/port features as they develop. I have only one request that if it was fulfilled would be so awesome, if it hasn't already been planned, make the ships as they are the "standard" mechanics for scenarios then add in "features" that can be added with settings. Not that it would discourage me from doing this, just that it would make it easier to update.

Top Quote
KittenKoder
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-04-09, 11:45

Just posted it to the top of the thread so it's easier to find.

Top Quote
NotYetTakenUserName
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-10-18, 15:30

Sounds really promising for my Map of the World project. Unfortunately the link is broken. Did this go somewhere else?

It's my opinion, plus I don't share it.

Top Quote