Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Seafaring

timmius

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2012-05-13, 21:06

Im new in this game... im lover of settler 2 but also a critic maker of that game... im venezuelan (so please forgive any mistakes in my english) and a novice programmer (NOT OF CARRER IM STUDYING 5th YEAR OF PHYSICS) but id like to help in this project.. anything u need an i may help... please let me know.... Well about the seafaring... im going to read all the posts to give my opinion XD thanks for this amazing project and good luck

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-05-14, 22:59

@timmius: Í sent you a personal message face-smile.png

Top Quote
flipflipsen

Version: 1.1
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2012-05-27, 18:26

Hello,

My operating system is Ubuntu 12.04

The last update of widelands I downloaded and installed is version bzr6389. I would like to play with seafaring. In the wiki I read, that i can send a ship for an expedition by clicking on the port. Also it should be possible to choose for ships or boats by clicking on the shipyard.

I started a new game, and could build a port, and also a shipyard. Furthermore, I could also build boats. But it is not possible to send a ship for expedition or choose for boats or ships.

Can you please tell me how to play with seafaring?

with regards, Flip.

Edited: 2012-05-27, 18:26

Top Quote
neon

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2012-05-27, 18:48

Hi

I'm experiencing the same thing like flipflipsen

also using 12.04 ubuntu

also I read all the posts in here yesterday and I'm a strong supporter of the Idea of small row boats and of the ability to transport workers as well as goods + I strongly support the "footbridge" thing which means you have to get to the other side by foot first to eventually begin transporting workers over water.

my idea regarding "big ships" would be to have 2 types one only for transport missions (workers + wares) and a very expansive one that can be used for transport and/or military missions.

greetz, enno

My fishb-reeder breeds fish and throws them in the ocean so my fisher has work. That's what I call creating jobs!!!

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-05-27, 21:20

This thread is about how the whole seafaring could look like. Right now the ships can only deliver wares across the sea. But only if there are at least two ports.

So there is no expedition possible. And no row boats.

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
tosz

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2012-11-06, 15:51

I hope it is not too late to contribute an idea concerning how the rowboats could satisfy two conditions mentioned in the discussion above:

• rivers, lakes etc. would still be obstacles for expansion;

• rowboats could transport workers.

As the normal roads become better after they are used for a number of times, also the water routes could get automatically upgraded after a rowboat sails through them enough times. In the case of the normal roads a beast of burden can be sent to the upgraded section, but in the case of water routes, the upgrade would effect in that the boat can carry workers. The upgraded sections of water routes would have little wharfs (or something along these lines) adjacent to the flags on both ends.

The advantage here is that this would allow transporting workers through water routes, which seems a fun thing, but still this wouldn't allow expanding beyond bodies of water only with small boats. To generate traffic necessary for upgrading a water route, there would have to be some buildings or constructions with a builder on the other shore. Hence, before the route would get upgraded to transport workers, there would already have to be some settlers on the other shore.

It seems more fun to me, if some resources were required to upgrade a water road, but I don't know if it would be convenient to implement such an option. I mean: after a route is used long enough, you can invest some planks and wood to add wharfs on the both ends of the water route, so that boats can carry workers. Or maybe even transporting workers on rowboats should require some food per a trip -- so that maintaining rowboat worker transport would burden the economy. But maybe I just got carried away a bit, and these are too wild suggestions, especially the last ones.

Edited: 2012-11-06, 15:52

Top Quote
simplypeachy

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2012-11-06, 16:13

I rather like the idea of adding this extra level of depth into the seafaring. One invests in resources to upgrade a road - namely water, wheat, and the resources needed for the beast production site. Since crossing water is a more complicated and arduous task I think a wharf being built to improve landing / loading speed sounds good. Maybe it could be left as a manual task - constructing the small buildings - rather than automatic, if there are concerns of resources being used without permission.

WARNING: New-style view packet not found. There may be strange effects regarding unseen areas.
_aD on IRC

Top Quote
Aaronchen

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2012-11-07, 08:14

i want to get more info if you can send ships with dozens of soldiers on them (which I think makes sense) this also raises the question of whether you can just attack anywhere along the coastline, or only in places where a harbor can be built...

The important thing in life is to have a great aim, and the determination to attain it.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-11-07, 18:21

This feature is still under discussion, but I guess the current point of the discussion is, that you can only attack around port buildspaces no matter whether there is or is no port on that build space. So no attack on other buildings on the shore as long as there is no port buildspace.

Top Quote
Mendossa

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2012-11-14, 03:28

I also noticed that the enemy can currently attack your habour building. I would suggest that it should be possible to station there some soldiers to defend the building. Currently, that is only possible if there is a soldier within the warehouse, which is not always the case.

I did like the rowboat feature from Settler 2. I would suggest - if that is possible - to give you an option if you want to place a special flag alongside the water, which would then enable rowboats to transport resources over a short distance. Bigger ships should be used then only for longer distances. Also only the big ships should be only able to transport both (workers/soldiers + resources).

Top Quote