Latest Posts

Topic: svn-4311 crash on message list

maxpower

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-06-25, 17:19

Hi,

I just installed the latest SVN build. On the message list window, directly after starting a game, I had two entries "warehouse". I wondered why there's two times the same message, so I clicked both. But I accidently happened to double click the same message. And this action did lead the game to a crash.

But the new graphics are better than the old. The new ones are better to recognize. Good work there. But on the graphcis side, the one thing that really looks bad is the water. I do not mean the textures, but the fact that water is not even, but has the same form than the landscape.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-06-26, 09:36

Hi maxpower,

Thanks for your report, however: I was not able to reproduce the problem. It is correct, that the warehouse message is double listed (that is a known problem) but doubleclicking an entry did not crash Widelands in my tests.

Did you use a specific map or a savegame? Do you know a good way to reproduce the bug? What is the stderr.txt and stdout.txt output after such a crash? Would be very nice if you could take a look at that face-smile.png

For the water: It's the work of the map creators. We enable "hilly" water for having rivers flowing from mountains to sea. I know there are some maps where the water of a lake or the sea is hilly - this of course should be fixed in those maps, but as I wrote that's a map creator issue face-smile.png

Cheers Nasenbaer

Top Quote
maxpower

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-06-26, 17:06

I can't reproduce it either, now. face-wink.png

Maybe the crash was caused by another bug and happened at the same time when I clicked randomly in the message list. Because sometimes the game crashes when I simply scroll around watching the Widelanders walk around and build their houses (sometimes the crash comes really short after game start, sometimes after 30 minutes of play - I really don't know the trigger).

The map was "Elfenwälder" (elfish woods, don't know the exact english name). All oponents disabled, I played babarians. I only had wood industry (tree cutter, tree planter, wood hardener, stone miner and one or two small military buildings for getting new land).

stdout only has a lot of WARNING: Found a duck at (124, 159), but it can not move there. Put it somewhere else instead. (Node has movecaps 32, bob type has movecaps 64.)

And: Request::get_base_required_time: WARNING nr = 1 but count is 1, which is not allowed according to the comment for this function

stderr.txt is not there.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-06-26, 17:46

stderr.txt is not there.

That is good as that means that Widelands was able to end normally face-smile.png - so in your last run there were just some warnings (in most cases just notes for us developers, where we want to improve something).

So if you ever can reproduce the bug or another bug occurs, please take a look if stderr.txt exists and if yes, what it (and stdout.txt) tells about the crash face-smile.png

Cheers

Nasenbaer

Top Quote
maxpower

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-06-30, 22:05

The latest svn build seems to work more stable. No random crash until now.

But I noticed something, don't know it it's intended or a bug: People (fisherman in this case) and animals can walk over water. I don't know if they walk everwhere over it or only on locations where the distance to the land on the other side is short (I saw it on a place where there was only a small amount of water - it was on the starting place in, again, the elfish woods map). But even if it's intended: it looked not "right", but this could also come from the graphics.

Top Quote
sigra

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2009-06-30, 23:27

Walking between 2 neighbouring nodes is allowed if each of the nodes are next to at least 1 land triangle, regardless of the terrain types in the triangles on both sides of the edge that connects the nodes.

Top Quote