Latest Posts

Topic: Introducing a new building for the creation of untrained soldiers

DaggeTeo

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2012-04-23, 06:34

Venatrix wrote:

Hmm… The reason why this option was removed again after being introduced, was exactly that wares weren’t created when the target quantity was set to 0 and the need was there. Obviously the players expected, that a ware is created when needed, even if it was set to 0, not that the production should be stopped, as you seem to want it. You can have a look in the corresponding bug report.

So potentielly the method of capping the number of lv0 soldiers could be done in this way? Ie, using the target economy quantity for workers?

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-04-23, 09:11

I suppose so, but in the bug report you can see, that this behaviour was not wanted. I propose to continue the discussion there especially as you seem to have another opinion.

Edited: 2012-04-23, 09:12

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
DaggeTeo

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2012-04-23, 11:54

Venatrix wrote: I suppose so, but in the bug report you can see, that this behaviour was not wanted. I propose to continue the discussion there especially as you seem to have another opinion.

But isn't that the behavior we want for the recruiting process? That you can start and stop recruiting by some sort of control. I am only thinking that this behavior should apply to the lv0 soldier, not other workers or wares.

At least to me, this gives the same control as a casern would.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-03, 08:12

We have a simple version of the casern/barracks in the game now, and Notabilis is working on adding a workers input to the building, so we can have recruits walking up to it. I would like some feedback on the user interface - there are 2 ways that this could go:

1. Use an extra tab, just like in the training sites
  2. Treat it like a ware

casern_mockup

At the moment, recruits are just carriers, but I think using the soldier graphics without health bar/levels for a new "recruit" worker would look better - we'll do that once everything else is working.

Corresponding bug

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-03, 11:39

Well, trainingsites distinguishes (use separate tabs) for wares and soldiers - perhaps this could be better. BTW, the new building is productionsite?

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-03, 12:31

Yes, the new building is technically a production site rather than a training site.

The separate tab in the Trainingsites makes sense, because soldiers have different levels and you need to be able to kick out a specific soldier.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
toptopple
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-11-03, 17:43

If the Carriers are endlessly available at the Barracks, as described in the bug report, a resource display for them - as well as for Soldiers - seems superfluous! Unless perhaps Soldiers shall stay in the building until requested, but this would be unpractical because why should they? This would limit their number in the game or otherwise they would have to walk out anyway.

The only circumstance that makes a resource row useful for Carriers is that they have to come into the building! That's also the more natural and attractive modus.

-- EDIT--
If the Soldiers immediately leave the building when recruited, the Carriers are a resource - a human resource so-to-speak - and can well exist beside the other two or three rows. This makes the site much easier to control, so I would prefer it.

If you want to display Carriers as Soldier graphics, this would probably be confusing for the inexperienced player as they might think they count as soldiers already and wonder why they are inactive. Probably better to leave them as Carriers!

Edited: 2016-11-03, 17:57

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2016-11-03, 17:56

A while back we were making barracks for all three races; I produced one for the atlanteans, but coding (that I just couldn't apply correctly) was needed for the proper transparencies. That's why I couldn't supply the other barracks; I'm glad that the team made alternates.

Edited: 2016-11-03, 18:04

Top Quote
toptopple
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-11-03, 18:08

To make the game more interesting, you could create a new role "Recruit", including an extra graphic for it. A Recruit would be created in any Warehouse which would hold a Cloth and 1 Cloth would be required to create the Recruit. face-smile.png The Recruits would then appear as orange dressed men in the Barracks.

Edited: 2016-11-03, 18:10

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-03, 18:16

Yes, a recruit is exactly what I had in mind. I would reuse the soldier model, because I lack the Blender skills to create a model from scratch, and we have no currently active Blender artist.

The 2 barracks graphics I added are just quick-and-dirty croppings of the trainingsites.

The important thing now is to decide on the user interface and to get it into the game. Recruit/Soldier/Building costs will need to be balanced afterwards, when it's just a matter of editing Lua files - and of course lots of testing.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote