Latest Posts

Topic: Seafaring

Nasenbaer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-04-21, 14:03

I would like to have some opinions on my plans for expedition and colonization as shown in the flow chart I posted at https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/939026

Comments, suggestions, improvements and of course help in coding is very welcome. face-smile.png

Edited: 2012-04-21, 14:03

Top Quote
PkK

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2012-04-21, 15:35

Nasenbaer wrote: I would like to have some opinions on my plans for expedition and colonization as shown in the flow chart I posted at https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/939026 Comments, suggestions, improvements and of course help in coding is very welcome.

I suggest to call the ship earlier, if it is not needed for anything else: I suppose wares and workers are called as they are available, not one-by-one after arrival, so why should the ship be treated differently? Philipp

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-04-21, 16:26

PkK wrote: I suggest to call the ship earlier, if it is not needed for anything else.

your suggestion already includes the downside. From what i can see at the moment, there are basically three possible scenarios:

• the wares and workers needed are already in the port or within the near range thus the needed wares are available very soon - the difference when the ship is called does not matter much.
  • the wares are not available in the economy at the moment and take some time to get produced. one ship has no work at the moment and is called directly - the ship is now blocked until all wares are finally available. but what happens, if the ship is needed in between? what if this is the only ship at the moment?
  • last case: all ships are working none stop - no difference to current behaviour.

to conclude: i see more disadvantages than advantages in this request, sorry face-smile.png

Top Quote
DaggeTeo

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2012-04-21, 18:35

Hey yeah that is a good idea. So each ware in each port would have four options: "default" (no icon), "do not receive", "do not send", "no exchange at all"

As far as I can see this includes your dedicated routes feature in a much smarter way, as you can't just control what is transported on the route, but even what can be send and received.

I created a wishlist item at launchpad for this feature ((see here)[https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/986546]) . Do you agree, that this invalidates your dedicated routes feature?

I am reluctant to say that I agree , but nor shall I be impossible. It does satisfy my need of limiting wares from a port. The purpose of dedicated ports, for me at least, would be to minimize unnecessary hopping between distant ports for ships. I'd like to see the dedicated route some day, but it is not a priority! Sorry for the long text to say simply, yes sorta I agree.. face-smile.png

With regards to the seafaring colonization/expedition I have just a few thoughts:

• I agree that the ship should be called after the wares are ready. Alternatively when the last ware is fetched from the warehouse, dunno if that is possible to check?!

• This is just a mirror of #2 in the launchpad but will the player in anyway be able to control the number of soldiers sent? And if so, will the player be able to control the level, similiar to how it is working with military sites now? -To conclude, I like it! It makes sense and it would be a great way to implement it.

Unrelated to the flowchart:

• Will the expedition require certain tools/workers? I find that an expedition should be very expensive so that it isn't overused.

• Where do you prefer the feedback? Launchpad or forum? I'll post in both this time.

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-05-04, 14:44

This post is off-topic from the current discussion, but I just want to comment on the exploration icons that Nasenbaer has provided and do not yet see a need to start a new topic in the graphics forum. (Hope I'm not stealing any of your thunder, Peter. face-smile.png )

First let me say I really like the "start expedition" graphic. start. Nice piece of work. face-wink.png

The "explore island graphic" expl is good, too. It inspired me to enhance it a little like so: new_expl.

What do you think?

And let me know if this topic should in fact be moved to the Graphics Forum. face-smile.png

EDIT: modified graphic

Edited: 2012-05-04, 15:11

I see little people.

Top Quote
PkK

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2012-05-05, 19:07

chuckw wrote: This post is off-topic from the current discussion, but I just want to comment on the exploration icons that Nasenbaer has provided and do not yet see a need to start a new topic in the graphics forum. (Hope I'm not stealing any of your thunder, Peter. )

First let me say I really like the "start expedition" graphic. . Nice piece of work. The "explore island graphic" is good, too. It inspired me to enhance it a little like so: .

What do you think?

And let me know if this topic should in fact be moved to the Graphics Forum.
EDIT: modified graphic

The diagonal glas looks like the symbol is stroked. I suggest to rotate the glas (and maybe the arrow) so the glas is near horizontal.

Philipp

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-05-06, 01:52

PkK wrote: The diagonal glas looks like the symbol is stroked. I suggest to rotate the glas (and maybe the arrow) so the glas is near horizontal. Philipp

Something like this?
exp_isl2

I see little people.

Top Quote
fuchur

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2012-05-08, 23:13

I'd suggest to keep the left side of the spy-glass a little bit lower than the right side. Just my 2 ct. face-smile.png

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-05-09, 08:51

chuckw wrote: Hope I'm not stealing any of your thunder, Peter.

No :-D! I just committed them to the media repository, as I feared they could get lost until I really add them to the seafaring branch. Unfortunally I am still busy at university (as you can see by my very late response face-wink.png ), so it will most likely take some more time until those icons will be used.

However, see these icons as "I hope someone improves them sometimes, but until than they look at least partly intuitive" face-wink.png ... so you beat me to it, before I got a chance to ask for improvement of those graphics face-grin.png

And let me know if this topic should in fact be moved to the Graphics Forum.

Maybe a good idea. Actually I even thought about starting a new topic for every part of the seafaring feature, as it is quite a huge thing - so a thread for expedition, a thread for rawboats, a thread for trading etc.

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-05-09, 16:42

I have created a topic in the Graphics Forum to continue the discussion of graphics supporting new features in seafaring.

Go to: Seafaring Feature Graphics

I see little people.

Top Quote