Latest Posts

Topic: A few issues

DaggeTeo

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2012-04-08, 22:41

Hi, The other day I started an attempt to create my own map. I noticed a couple of things that can be improved with the editor:

1. Enable access to sound options within the editor. First I opened the editor through the direct link on my desktop. However I wanted to disable the in-game music and to do so I had to exit, open the normal widelands shortcut and then disable the music in the options menu.

2. Now that we have seafaring it makes sense to choose the initial map to be all water. Now I had to "paint" the entire map with water. It took a while considering the fact that I was editing the largest map possible.

3. I would like the ability to zoom out and get a larger picture.

4. I think you should increase the max toolsize.

5. Give an option to increase scrollspeed.

Edit:

forgot one...

1. Random tree tool. So you can a nicer distribution of trees.

Thanks guys!

Edited: 2012-04-08, 22:48

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-04-09, 13:54

Great that someone is looking after the editor. Here is what I think:

1. That would be nice, although I always start the editor in Widelands.

2. If I click on "New map" (start Widelands -> Editor -> New map), a greenland world is created. I would like to choose what type and what size I want to have (like it is when you make a new map from inside the editor). Here, an option "fill everything with water/lava/basic terrain/mountain" could be added.

3. I do not think that this is easy to implement. I never think that I could need that because I normally take a look at the minimap

4. I seldom have bigger areas than size "0". If you have a big area, you can hold both LMB and RMB and then move. If point 2 is implemented, I think that one will not need this often any more.

5. You can navigate while holding the RMB or clicking onto a place on the minimap. That is fast enough for me.

6. You can choose several trees with holding Ctrl (it is described in the tips, I think). When you click, a random tree will be planted.

I hope I could help a bit. If you want, you can add a bug report at Launchpad for point 2.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
DaggeTeo

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2012-04-10, 13:07

wl-zocker wrote:

If I click on "New map" (start Widelands -> Editor -> New map), a greenland world is created. I would like to choose what type and what size I want to have (like it is when you make a new map from inside the editor). Here, an option "fill everything with water/lava/basic terrain/mountain" could be added.

This is exactly what I want.

I do not think that this is easy to implement. I never think that I could need that because I normally take a look at the minimap

When you are working on a huge map this would be really helpful, the minimap is not enough. I understand though that this is probably difficult to implement.

I seldom have bigger areas than size "0". If you have a big area, you can hold both LMB and RMB and then move. If point 2 is implemented, I think that one will not need this often any more.

I agree that if 2 is implemented this would not be needed.

You can navigate while holding the RMB or clicking onto a place on the minimap. That is fast enough for me.

Well I guess that if 2 is implemented 5 wouldn't be required.

You can choose several trees with holding Ctrl (it is described in the tips, I think). When you click, a random tree will be planted.

Thanks, tried it out and it was very useful!

Addition. I noticed that when I place fish on water and accidentally put some land terrain over the fish you are unable to remove the fish without first converting the land to water. I suggest that if you place land over fish resources that they are removed.

Top Quote
renke

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2012-04-10, 17:36

wl-zocker wrote: I do not think that this is easy to implement. I never think that I could need that because I normally take a look at the minimap

DaggeTeo wrote: When you are working on a huge map this would be really helpful, the minimap is not enough. I understand though that this is probably difficult to implement.

it shouldn't be too hard. as a not-even-proof-of-concept I reduced in b17rc2 the triangle size to 32x16 - the needed basic functionality (like Graphic::get_resized_picture()) is already implemented.

the hardest part was finding all [1] places with hotspot calculation, a better programmer than I [2] should be able to implement zooming with dynamic calculation of the factor instead of constants and some controls (e.g. PgUp, PgDw) without too much hassle.

http://gss-konstanz.de/8-kerne-und-nen-typ/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/original_und_faelschung.png

Left - original, right - my ugly static hack; map editor of Atoll.wmf focused on the blue player

files I touched:

Files src/graphic/graphic.cc and ../widelands-build17-rc2-src-orig/src/graphic/graphic.cc differ

Files src/graphic/graphic.h and ../widelands-build17-rc2-src-orig/src/graphic/graphic.h differ

Files src/graphic/render/animationgfx.cc and ../widelands-build17-rc2-src-orig/src/graphic/render/animationgfx.cc differ

Files src/logic/worker_descr.cc and ../widelands-build17-rc2-src-orig/src/logic/worker_descr.cc differ

Files src/profile/profile.cc and ../widelands-build17-rc2-src-orig/src/profile/profile.cc differ

Files src/ui_basic/progresswindow.cc and ../widelands-build17-rc2-src-orig/src/ui_basic/progresswindow.cc differ

Files src/ui_fsmenu/base.cc and ../widelands-build17-rc2-src-orig/src/ui_fsmenu/base.cc differ

Files src/wui/mapviewpixelconstants.h and ../widelands-build17-rc2-src-orig/src/wui/mapviewpixelconstants.h differ

Files src/wui/overlay_manager.cc and ../widelands-build17-rc2-src-orig/src/wui/overlay_manager.cc differ

Files src/wui/waresqueuedisplay.cc and ../widelands-build17-rc2-src-orig/src/wui/waresqueuedisplay.cc differ

[1] or "most", I think I didn't catched all...

[2] i.e. everyone

Top Quote
DaggeTeo

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2012-04-10, 18:33

That was quite interesting. Impressive that you managed to do it that fast. This is what I was requesting, very cool! Renke, do you think it would be possible to get in to build18?

Top Quote
renke

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2012-04-10, 19:21

DaggeTeo wrote: This is what I was requesting, very cool! Renke, do you think it would be possible to get in to build18?

to be honest: no idea, but more likely not.

Both SirVer and nha (and they ARE programmers ;)) arguing in the feature request (https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/536461) that zooming will be a lot of work. In a way, I cheated: The zoomed versions as pictured above is really really ugly - every time an image is loaded it is more or less duplicated in memory and converted to a lower resolution. Millions of processor cycles completely stupid burned...

if I were you I would add a line to the mentioned bug, maybe with a link to this topic: The issue was last time touched in May 2010, it could be helpful to push it at the top of the last-changed-list.

Top Quote
QCS

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-04-10, 19:26

Just a very very very stupid idea...

but shouldn't a 3D system make it easy somehow to "zoom" by moving the camera position? face-wink.png

Maybe this can be exploited somehow in the code, even if this does not work for the old SDL software renderer?

CMake is evil.

Top Quote
DaggeTeo

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2012-04-11, 00:47

QCS wrote: Just a very very very stupid idea... but shouldn't a 3D system make it easy somehow to "zoom" by moving the camera position? Maybe this can be exploited somehow in the code, even if this does not work for the old SDL software renderer?

It is my understanding that they will keep Widelands stricly 2D.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-04-11, 10:03

QCS is not suggesting moving Widelands to 3D. He is just suggestion to use 3D technology to enable zooming. Something along those lines will it likely be - e.g. by using Stretching using OpenGL with filtering.

Top Quote
DaggeTeo

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2012-04-11, 21:29

SirVer wrote: QCS is not suggesting moving Widelands to 3D. He is just suggestion to use 3D technology to enable zooming. Something along those lines will it likely be - e.g. by using Stretching using OpenGL with filtering.

That sounds more reasonable!

Top Quote