Latest Posts

Topic: svn-4263 won't install

maxpower

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-06-16, 09:42

I just downloaded the newest svn release (three times!), but it won't install. After running the exe it directly says that the installer is corrupted.

Top Quote
Tino

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2009-06-16, 09:57

Yes, you are right. I'm not sure why it is corrupted, could have happened on building the file and/or uploading it to my webspace.

I'll build a new one later this day...

Top Quote
Tino

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2009-06-16, 19:02

Please try this new build: http://widelands.8-schuss.de/Widelands-svn4274-win32.exe

It includes a new version of the ggz libs, so i would really appreciate some feedback if it does work and all necessary dll files are integrated.

Top Quote
maxpower

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-06-16, 19:45

Installs. Starts. Works mostly.

But a crash occurs if you click on the headquarter and then on the icon with the house with the arrow. I believe this is the button that moves the view to the building. I didn't tried it other buildings.

Speaking of icons, I have two suggestions: 1) tool tips! if you hover an icon for more than a second, display a short text what the button is for.

2) re-order the head quarter/warehouse ware icons. I find it extremly confusing to have an axe at the first position, where I would expect wood or stone. The icons should be ordered this way: first the resources (wood, stone, ... ordered by importance), then an "empty line" (or some kind of small separator), then the tools (again ordered by importance)

Top Quote
simplypeachy

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2009-06-16, 19:58

Bug confirmed here on a clean install. stderr says:
(<errormsg>) No state transition for 19 from connecting!
(<errormsg>) No state transition for 18 from joining_table!

WARNING: New-style view packet not found. There may be strange effects regarding unseen areas.
_aD on IRC

Top Quote
maxpower

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-06-16, 20:03

The game just crashed in a normal game. But I also had this on earlier revs. I never could find out a clear reason. Currently I was just watching how the guys set up up houses, then suddenly crash (the game just closes).

Oh, and another suggestion, when I spoke about order: Also the building menu should have a better order. important bulidngs (wood, stone related) at first, then food, then refining, then military. I always need to search a lot to find the wanted buildings.

Edited: 2009-06-16, 20:04

Top Quote
Dwarik

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-06-16, 20:43

i'm working on the fix for 'go to HQ' segfault.

there are a few problems with ordering wares in a specific order

1) we would have to introduce a fix order (aka hardcode the corder). this just is a tedius and bugsensitive job

2) disagreement about order. for some wares it's obvious, for some wares it's less obvious where they should be categorized.

4) it's even harder to say what is more important, wood or stone, iron or coal. it often just depends which one you are lacking most.

5) i know i skipped 3

6) the warehouse 'home' buttun (the arrow pointed to a little house problem is fixed in 4277

Edited: 2009-06-16, 20:58

Top Quote
maxpower

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-06-16, 21:27

Thanks. Is the "random crash bug" known (or what causes it)?

Where does the order come from currently/how is it technically arranged?

I agree that it could be hard in some cases to define what is more important, but I think the wares should at least be grouped. So that all tools are one block, and all resources are another block. And inside the resources tools there are groups like "wood, hardened wood, stones, ..." and "water, corn, bread, ..." - so that goods that belong in some way together also appear together.

But the current way (everything is here or there or somewhere else, wood at the beginning, but hardened wood at the end) is just confusing.

Or another solution that comes to my mind: Let the user define his own order. You can click on a ware and then an up/down arrow appears. And this order is stored in a config file. Shouldn't be to hard to assign an int that represents the order position to the wares.

Top Quote
sigra

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2009-06-17, 00:12

maxpower wrote: Where does the order come from currently/how is it technically arranged?

All ware types are listed in order in the tribe's conf-file.

Top Quote
maxpower

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-06-17, 08:27

Ah, OK. But then it should even be easier to re-arrange them.

I hope there will be some better solution in the future.

Top Quote