Latest Posts

Topic: Pioneers (Tribe)

Zeak
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2012-04-01, 11:55

Hi all, Long time widelander and I would like to contribute to this game with something that I spent many hours of my child hood playing. The Settlers. I Began not to long ago creating a new tribe for Widelands I call the Pioneers. The buildings are all based from the original settlers game with a few new additions to bring the tribe up to the rest of the game. I must admit the conf files are by far the easiest I have ever worked with for game modding. I did some work a few years back on Chris sawyers locomotion and the dat files were a little confusing. Ill keep you posted with my progress.

I have a question in relation to the lumberjacks house. I have made an altered image for when he goes off to cut down a tree so its the same house with the axe missing but when I try to use the image under the working title it states the its not used. How can I get around this or isn't it possible, Thanks.

http://www.brookeden.org/widesett.jpg

Edited: 2012-04-01, 11:59

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-04-01, 16:26

Zeak wrote: I have a question in relation to the lumberjacks house. I have made an altered image for when he goes off to cut down a tree so its the same house with the axe missing but when I try to use the image under the working title it states the its not used. How can I get around this or isn't it possible, Thanks.

Hello, Zeak!! Welcome to the forum! Good job with your graphics!

Your question brings to light a "feature" that should probably be addressed for those buildings whose workers go off-site for their production. Currently there are four states that are supported for buildings in Widelands: Build, Unoccupied, Idle and Work.

Of these four, it would seem that the two likeliest for use for a house while the lumberjack (or stonemason, or farmer, or ferner, hunter, fisher, scout, etc.) is away and working would be either the "Unoccupied" or "Work" states.
However, the "Unoccupied" state currently only applies to the period after the building's construction or upgrade is complete until the first arrival of the worker.

That leaves the "Work" state where, in the [working] section of the building's conf file, the "animation=..." line would define the section of the conf file that contains the graphic or animation that should be displayed. There is one little hitch, however. Currently, it appears that any "work" animation for a building is played either before or after the work animation of the building's worker but not simultaneously with it if the worker is off-site.

So the current answer to your question as I see it is "It is not possible."

This, however, is my present understanding. I would ask one of our coders to verify whether or not the code can currently support your scenario. If my perception is correct, this is a perfect case for a "bug report" to enhance this feature. face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-04-01, 16:37

For an example of how a building's "work" animation is supported in its conf file. I would suggest taking a look at the conf file for the barbarian helmsmithy. Understand that the working animation for this building actually contains the worker's animation. That is, the worker and the building appear in the same image, not separate images overlaid.

I see little people.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-04-01, 17:32

Zeak, please note the following: the settlers graphics are copyrighted, we cannot include them into widelands. Also, a fourth tribe would currently not enhance the game (imho, this is of course up to discussion) much as long as the possibilities of the current tribes is not sufficiently researched.

That said: pretty cool mod you did there face-glasses.png

Edited: 2012-04-01, 17:33

Top Quote
Zeak
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2012-04-02, 09:31

Thanks for the support guys. I was aware of the copyright issues and understand how it can not be included into Widelands. Although I have been working with sketchup for some time now and have made similar designs of buildings for my mod. I thought about changing the current tribe to "the Settlers" for a just for fun mod having it as close to the original game as possible (building wise that is) and creating a new called the pioneers. The idea behind this was the whole idea of a city build and just that limitation of what you can and cant do. I had a play around about a month ago with the idea of using immovables to create walls as defensive structures for the empire and using the barriers as gates into the city with farmland around the outside sort of like settlers 7 but mainly for looks. I am still learning all the little parts of code for the conf files and thanks for the help with the lumberjacks hut chuckw. @SirVer: I have thought the same to as adding another tribe would work the military aspects would not be balanced especially for the current mod I have created. Looking over an earlier post originally from Astuur and noting I am still looking at the structure of the game I was going to set up my tribe as follows (Max)

Attack: 4

Defense: 1

Evade: 1

Hitpoints: 3

I have been looking at a more medieval tribe setup to bring back the sord and shield hence the defense. No shield 0 to shield 1. I also looked at adding a new resource into the game gathered from a well, clay. Instead of creating some tools from the tool smith clay comes from a well and goes to a pottery where the tools are made and fired in a kiln to create ceramics. I looked at this by looking at the stone cutter from where ever he gets stone 2 in 7 times he gets marble so I planned to do the same with clay. It was just an idea anyway that I have been playing with but I will keep you updated with the current mod and focus more on this when I have a little more knowledge.

Edited: 2012-04-02, 09:32

Top Quote
Zeak
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2012-04-09, 02:14

Just wanted to get some feedback on some buildings I created. http://www.brookeden.org/widesett2.jpg

I don't have a use for all of them just yet but plan to soon. The second one is the new storehouse opening up the old one to become a fortress then upgraded to a castle (bottom middle right). The Log cabin with the roof horizontal will be the hunter. I am still working on a few of the others to fit some of the roles. Also working on a port but just using the old boat builder as that for the time being. I am looking at some old tall ship sprites for the sea faring.

Edited: 2012-04-09, 02:15

Top Quote