Latest Posts

Topic: Build 17 with mostly useless seafearing?

PkK

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2012-03-15, 14:29

So the buildings and vehicles are there for build17. But I didn't read about progress in naval expeditions, colonizing or invasion? Does that mean that seafearing will be useless in build17?

Philipp

Top Quote
Tino

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-03-15, 15:21

That depends face-wink.png

If you are the "the-glass-is-half-empty"-guy: Yes, you are right.

For the "the-glass-is-half-full" ppl: There is a very nice campaign mission which makes use of some of the new buildings.

Top Quote
Sadchant

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2012-03-15, 17:53

Tino wrote: That depends If you are the "the-glass-is-half-empty"-guy: Yes, you are right. For the "the-glass-is-half-full" ppl: There is a very nice campaign mission which makes use of some of the new buildings.

But what is the reason for it? Is it so complicate to implement the ships in normal maps? And if its only in campaigns, only then for the next Atlanteans-campaign?

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-15, 20:34

Sadchant wrote:

Tino wrote: That depends If you are the "the-glass-is-half-empty"-guy: Yes, you are right. For the "the-glass-is-half-full" ppl: There is a very nice campaign mission which makes use of some of the new buildings.

But what is the reason for it? Is it so complicate to implement the ships in normal maps? And if its only in campaigns, only then for the next Atlanteans-campaign?#

To be honest, if things were different, Build17 would take some more time and maybe a complete seafaring feature would be integrated. But unfortunally debian removed the ggz libraries from their repositories and thus we had to rewrite our internet gaming functionality (which is a good thing and we should have done years before) and had to rush Build17 a bit, to make sure, that Debian and Debian based distributions provide Widelands with internet gaming functionality.

However this is not bad in any way. We are still in beta state and our Builds are more or less just "official development snapshots". face-wink.png

And finally: Seafaring works in every map that has port build spaces - this means, that you can build two or more ports and the ships will transport wares between those. This can especially be nice if you play a network game with more than one starting point. Scouting and colonization however is not yet implemented, so you won't be able to set sail to new islands.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-16, 10:29

Fact is: coloniziation and exploring needs a complete new UI and bobs behaviour that is not yet implemented. It is not 'difficult' per se, but it is not trivial either. It will also take time and a lot of 'footwork' (like network commands and save support which is not hard, but needs to touch on many parts of the code).

That said, the way ships currently decide to transport wares is horrible (in fact, the decisions on land are horrible as well but it is not so noticable). Before ships are really fun, we need to tackle this code as well. I am sorry, but there is really not possibility to rush this feature in.

Top Quote
DaggeTeo

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2012-03-30, 16:04

SirVer wrote: Fact is: coloniziation and exploring needs a complete new UI and bobs behaviour that is not yet implemented. It is not 'difficult' per se, but it is not trivial either. It will also take time and a lot of 'footwork' (like network commands and save support which is not hard, but needs to touch on many parts of the code). That said, the way ships currently decide to transport wares is horrible (in fact, the decisions on land are horrible as well but it is not so noticable). Before ships are really fun, we need to tackle this code as well. I am sorry, but there is really not possibility to rush this feature in.

Out of curiosity what is the most pessimistic and optimistic timeframe for this to be implemented?

Top Quote
Shevonar

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2012-03-30, 16:56

Out of curiosity what is the most pessimistic and optimistic timeframe for this to be implemented?

Most optimistic: The day after build17

Most pessimistic: never

More can only be said if one of the developers is actively working on this feature which is currently not the case AFAIK.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-30, 18:08

More can only be said if one of the developers is actively working on this feature which is currently not the case AFAIK.

i started work on that part, but had not much time lately to bring it further. so all you wrote is still valid face-wink.png

Top Quote
DaggeTeo

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2012-03-30, 18:13

Hehe just to finish the triangle, what is the most likely then? face-smile.png

No but I understand the dilemma with resources etc. It's times like these that I wished I was a skilled programmer.

Anyways, thanks guys for everything you do!

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-07-20, 16:08

EfrainCase wrote: Out of curiosity what is the most pessimistic and optimistic timeframe for this to be implemented?

Well in case that I stay the only one working on this feature, the most optimistic timeframe would be around Christmas this year, the most pesimistic timeframe would of course be "never", but I think quite pesimistic would still be in spring 2013.

Top Quote