Latest Posts

Topic: Recovering goods when upgrading or dismantling

PkK

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2012-03-03, 12:40

It seems weird that buildings can be dismantled to recover some of the building materials, but the goods inside are lost.

I suggest that when upgrading or dismantling a building, the workers inside first carry out all the remaining wares before leaving.

Philipp

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-03-03, 14:03

Wares can already be ordered to be brought out, but only one by one (the arrow keys on the left and right side of the wares). But I agree that all of them should be carried out automatically before upgrading or dismantling.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
Shevonar

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2012-03-04, 11:27

I see a little problem here: When you click upgrade or dismantle you expect that the work is started immediately - at least I expect that. If all the wares are released first, it might take some minutes until the upgrade/dismantling finally starts. That might be acceptable. But I guess there are some people out there that want to upgrade/dismantle buildings waiting for the wares to come out. That will be impossible. Bringing out the wares before starting upgrading/dismantling is no problem with the current functions. It just needs some more clicks and some more managing by the player: If you don't want to waste wares think about it before upgrading/dismantling. In Widelands it is more important to have several options with some more clicks than to do the "in most cases best" with few clicks.

Top Quote
PkK

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2012-03-04, 11:39

Shevonar wrote: I see a little problem here: When you click upgrade or dismantle you expect that the work is started immediately - at least I expect that.

No. It already doesn't start immediately: The delay for the construction worker to arrive at the site is much longer than the time it would take to carry out the wares (unless you're dismantling a warehouse). If I want the building gone fast, I'll burn it.

If all the wares are released first, it might take some minutes until the upgrade/dismantling finally starts. That might be acceptable. But I guess there are some people out there that want to upgrade/dismantle buildings waiting for the wares to come out. That will be impossible. Bringing out the wares before starting upgrading/dismantling is no problem with the current functions. It just needs some more clicks and some more managing by the player: If you don't want to waste wares think about it before upgrading/dismantling. In Widelands it is more important to have several options with some more clicks than to do the "in most cases best" with few clicks.

Yes, it currently possible, but irt requires a lot of effort: Many clicks for each ware, and worse: THe current production cycle completes, then wares are carried out, then I can start dismantling. This typically means I have to wait or remember to look at the building again later.

Philipp

Top Quote