Latest Posts

Topic: New Port Buildings

chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-02, 15:55

This thread is to consolidate the discussion about the development of the new port buildings for all the tribes.

It picks up the discussion started in the empire and barbarian seafaring threads.

Edited: 2012-03-02, 16:02

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-02, 16:04

In response to Nasenbaer's post, I'll try your suggestions and post the result for comments. Thanks!

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-02, 16:56

Atlantean Port #2

For the lower walls, I've used the same material used in other military buildings like the castle and even the headquarters of the Atlanteans. I've added a couple guard shacks (with requisite tridents, of course.) face-wink.png
Additionally, I have introduced player color in the "tiled" roof sections and added the "crystalglass" material of the castle, my own invention :), to the windows and new skylight! (It will show up better in the game. I promise. face-smile-big.png

ap2

Is this an acceptable structure for our Atlanteans?

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-02, 17:21

Port #2 in-Game shot

ap2

Edited for formatting

Edited: 2012-03-02, 17:24

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-02, 17:54

Port #2a - MORE POWER!

I bumped up the "wattage" on the beacon crystal.
Before:ap2 After:ap2a

To try them in the game for yourself, I recommend a hot spot of 54 65.

Here is port #2a: ap2ag

Edit: corrected typo in hot spot. sorry face-smile.png

Edited: 2012-03-02, 17:58

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-02, 18:10

Thinking that it is better to ask forgiveness than to wait for permission, I have added the atlantean port2a building to the trunk in bzr rev #6278.

I want to get at least idle images in for all three tribes before I tackle the build sequences. So, I now move to the empire...

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-02, 22:22

Empire Port - First Draft

It isn't the Roman Senate or even in the same material as the Empire warehouse, but you have to start somewhere with these models. So I'll let the picture speak for itself except to say that I have borrowed features from the headquarters, barrier, sentry, and (lest we forget) the ship itself. face-smile.png

ep

The figure holding the fire bowl on the top tower is the same element as on the headquarters only in a copper patina instead of gold.

I will try tapering the walls of the tall tower in a bit for effect. I'm still playing with the actual size of the building image for the game. This rendering may be a bit smaller than what will make the game.

Comments please.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-03, 07:45

Since this is obviously a 2 floor building - how about some hauling contraption?
The westwall appears a bit naked face-smile.png
The double door could be a bit wider (same as the ramp, maybe?)
Otherwise...hm..I'd let the roof spring out a little further to
partly cover the wooden balcony.
This may help to let the building appear less massive.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-03-03, 09:24

The port already looks very well.

But the statue is very small and can barely be seen or identified (I didn't notice it on the headquarters until now). If it has a funtion, it should be bigger, so maybe the whole roof should be flat and the statue should use the whole roof.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-03, 14:33

Astuur wrote: Since this is obviously a 2 floor building - how about some hauling contraption? The westwall appears a bit naked

I agree. I'm planning to put a beam extending from the peak of the west wall and affix a hoist to it. Maybe put an access to the 2nd floor on that wall, too similar to American barns for their hay mows. Also installing two double doors at ground level like the one on the south wall. Think "loading dock". face-smile.png

The double door could be a bit wider (same as the ramp, maybe?)

Yep.

Otherwise...hm..I'd let the roof spring out a little further to partly cover the wooden balcony. This may help to let the building appear less massive.

I'm actually aiming for the "massive" look. You don't see much statuary on 2-story houses. face-wink.png

wl-zocker wrote: But the statue is very small and can barely be seen or identified (I didn't notice it on the headquarters until now). If it has a funtion, it should be bigger, so maybe the whole roof should be flat and the statue should use the whole roof.

I'll see what I can do with our "Lady of light". face-smile.png

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

I see little people.

Top Quote