Latest Posts

Topic: Coat of Arms: The Empire

chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-02-21, 16:52

Do you realize we currently have no coat of arms, or logo if you will, for the Empire tribe?!!

WE NEED A COAT OF ARMS FOR THE EMPIRE!!! After all, aren't they the most civilized tribe we have, (and perhaps the most conceited), certainly the most "showy". face-wink.png

As this tribe is loosely based on the Roman Empire, I would suggest starting there for inspiration.

The logo will be utilized much as those are for the barbarians and atlanteans, i.e. appearing in the game help and wiki to symbolically represent the tribe, affixed to buildings, flags, armor, sails, etc.

This would be a great subject to "try your hand" at developing artwork for Widelands.

So, calling all graphicians!! Let's see what you can come up with.

ALL HAIL THE EMPIRE! face-grin.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
Shevonar

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2012-02-21, 17:20

There is at least an icon for the empire tribe in the multiplayer lobby screen: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/trunk/download/head:/icon.png-20101031002944-5yi16g9ym248pfi1-3/icon.png I don't know if somewhere exists a highres version of this icon. Something more creative would be welcome I guess.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-02-21, 17:57

trimard was working on a coat of arm for the Empire some time ago. Don't know what happend with it though: see forum post

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-02-21, 18:37

Thanks, Nasenbaer, for pointing out that forum post. I don't remember seeing it before and "it was before my time".. That's my only excuse. face-grin.png

trimard's graphics certainly show great potential. I had wondered where our beloved atlantean coat of arms had been born, but his empire shield doesn't quite ring consistently with where we've gone with the actual shield the empire soldiers use. Assuming we would use the same or a similar shield in the coat of arms is a petty point, perhaps, but using the rectangular shield would tie it in that much better.

The emblem with the empire helmet icon on a round gray shield is sufficient and works very nicely for where we use it now as an icon in menus and could certainly be used in the map objects as we've done with the atlantean and barbarian emblems. However, I feel something "fancier" is in order for these imperials.

How do the rest of you feel? Should the current "helmet" emblem be used on the map objects? Or should we look for a replacement or at least something fancier for the game objects?

I see little people.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-02-21, 19:33

I am all for a fancier replacement for the map object!

I think the current icon was just introduced as an icon was needed, not as a real design concept (maybe it was even me doing this face-wink.png )...

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-02-22, 11:37

I doubt though that a tribe would choose a helmet as a symbol. Either the other way around: the helmet would carry some of the symbolics also visible on the coat of arms. How about some kind of animal? A sea snake maybe? I am willing to come up with an obscure legacy that will explain it if it is chosen :).

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-02-22, 16:14

SirVer wrote: ... How about some kind of animal? A sea snake maybe? I am willing to come up with an obscure legacy that will explain it if it is chosen .

I think that an animal would be very fitting on their coat of arms. The Romans had the eagle and early on the she-wolf (reminiscent of Romulus and Remus' wet nurse) face-smile.png

• A sea snake would be cool.
  • Lions, of course, adorn many crests.
  • as do Stags (male deer or elk)
  • A Bull (ox/wisent) is central to the empire's economy as a secondary carrier at least.
  • Dragons, unicorns and other mythological creatures are possibilities

Or perhaps a plant of some kind?

• A bundle of Wheat
  • A Tree of some kind Perhaps that is more fitting for the barbarians face-grin.png
  • A Flower of some kind like a rose, lily, tulip, lotus, or even a daisy Now THAT's "Flower Power", man! (I guess I may be showing my age, huh?) face-smile-big.png

Or something else like

• a constellation of stars,
  • some geometric design like a triangle,
  • or even a marble column!

Let's hear how YOUR imagined empire coat of arms would look!!

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-02-23, 07:52

Approachinng more from the "inner meaning" side of things, and not primarily from the artistical view, I could see some alternativea to choosing an animal:

How about some achievement that this tribe (Empire) is particularly proud of or reflects a common value?
Something like choosing the statue of Liberty to represent the US.
Or the blindfolded Justitia to symbolize equal rights for all citzens before the law.
Or an impressive building, representing the home of a senate.
We'd have to make up our minds of course, whether the Empire has such things like elections and a senate or a supreme court.
A globe might also be a good idea (if we grant them the knowledge about a globe shaped earth), to symbolize their claim of world rulership.
A statue of God ("Jupiter" or whatever we want to call him), if you you want to stress common religous beliefs at the bae of their realm.
There are actually lots of possibilities, and some seem more natural than an animal, which we may have to create a legend about first.
Few, however, would give away less and allow us to postpone decisions about the Empire for later.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
PkK

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2012-02-23, 20:12

Considering the "Empire Seafaring Graphics" thread a Mute Swan seems fitting. Maybe an attacking one (e.g. like http://www.cartinafinland.fi/en/imagebank/large-image/89/89828/Swan+attack+89828.jpg or http://quezi.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/swan-attacks-man.jpg).

Symbolizes beauty - fits perfectly with all those marble columns they have in their buildings.

Symbolizes a military might and capability that is powerful, but rarely unleashed unless in response to violations of territorial integrity (Mute Swans are very territorial).

Symbolizes an absolute will to protect something they hold dear - Mute Swans fight untill death to defend their young, and the Empire protects culture.

Philipp

Edit: And the slow launch into the air, requiring about 50 m of straight-line open water perfectly symbolizes the slow start and lots of infrastructure needed to get an Empire game going.

Edited: 2012-02-23, 20:14

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-02-24, 09:04

Pkk is making a strong point in 'selling' the swan :). I can live with it for sure. The main association I have with swans is Lohengrin though.

Top Quote