Latest Posts

Topic: Official "play day" !?

SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-11-21, 11:09

I would all be for a tournament. Kristin talked about running a second one, but she will remain quite busy for quite some time. So, if you want to volunteer, Personal_Joke, just speak up. You might want to check in the wiki the page of the first tournament

Top Quote
hjd

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2011-12-11, 13:00

Another tournament sounds fun. face-smile.png I am not sure whether this was done for the previouts one, but I think it would be cool if other people could follow the matches as spectators.

So, on-topic: this month the last weekend coincides with New Year's Eve / holiday. So I wonder whether there would be any interest for a Play Day, or if most people are simply busy doing other things. I guess our alternatives are; hold it on New Year's Eve, hold it sometime earlier (though close to the end of the month) or simply wait for January. How does this fit with others plans?

PS. Note that as I mentioned earlier in this thread, finding a date which fits everyone is a futile task. If we would be able to gather enough people to play a couple of games, I'd say go for it, but if no one will be able to make it we need to find some alternative solution.

Ships!

Top Quote
Fopper

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-12-14, 17:28

A tournament is very nice! I hereby volunteer for coordinator. I have copied part of the old wiki page: (http://wl.widelands.org/wiki/WLTournamentTwentyTwelve/).
I think it is best to start after the holidays, as people (I at least) have social things to do. One week per round again should be enough time, to play a game.

Edited: 2011-12-14, 17:36

Top Quote
hjd

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2011-12-14, 20:29

Fopper: great! face-smile.png

I suggest you create a new thread where we can discuss the tournament and people can sign up. It's drifting a bit off-topic here.

Ships!

Top Quote
se5a

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-12-26, 02:39

have we got another 'play day' schedualed? I may be interested in the turny. any bites yet? I've yet to have an actual multiplayer game so far though. (the one game I did managed to play, the other player decided to quit 5 min in)

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-12-26, 09:18

Last saturday in this month is sylvester - not a good day for an official playday. I scheduled one on the last saturday of january. But just poke into IRC now and than and ask around - you will need to be patient as most people only look rarely at their IRC client. But sometimes a game can happen this way too.

About the tournament: I am all for it! I suggest keeping the rules the same: current build or newer if the players can find a common revision. Also: what about playing the other win conditions too? Maybe changing the win condition each round or providing different tournaments for each win condition :).

Top Quote
apelsinlax

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2011-12-27, 20:24

Hello. I just wanted to say a few things about Replays and REPLAYS = PROMOTING WIDELANDS.

(I started playing Settlers I back in 1993/1994 and always loved the game. I discovered Widelands about a year ago and love the idea even though I do not have time to play at the moment. Enough about me.)

To my point. I love, and I think a lot of the people that like strategy games would say the same, to watch other people play against each other. If they are really good at it, even better. By presenting replays you would promote this game in a very simple way. I have to admit I got very frustrated that Widelands, a game I would love to watch other players battle each other, has about 2 replays uploaded which takes you ages to even find.

YOU NEED REPLAYS. You should have one section dedicated to replays and nothing else and a way to download all the versions used by the uploaded replays.

1. Already dedicated want to watch multiplayer battles. It is interesting!
  2. New players who will never get around reading a guide or learning the hard way will much rather just watch a good replay to learn!

PLEASE ADD IT ASAP! face-smile.png

On an other note I wish you good luck with this awesome game.

Top Quote
ChemBro

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-12-27, 22:27

You're sure, you posted that in the right section/thread? Also: I can understand, if someone wants to watch a StarCraft II Replay of progamers, but a 5 hour Widelands replay?

And new players don't need to learn it the hard way, there is a tutorial in the game for exactly this problem.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-12-28, 11:56

there is more to this: replays are HARD to get right. Every change in the game would break the replay, every balance change change how the game plays out (Starcraft 1 had this problem, remember? Starcraft 2 'fixes' this by keeping every freaking version of the game around). Do not hold your breath for that, this is too much work for too little gain.

Top Quote
apelsinlax

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2011-12-28, 15:36

Ok, forget the "replay page" but it would be awesome if some of you who are playing could post multiplayer games once in a while.

All you need to do is upload a file in a thread and write the version of Widelands used. I would like to watch it and I know there are many like me in general in the strategy genre. Win-win for everyone for minimum work, I fail to see the negative side.

Also "long games" are not a problem, 5 hours or 10 hours or more. You just set the speed between x4 or x40 and watch the game in 30 min or less. You are often only interested in the main strategy of the game and to see the most decisive moments where you slow down. To see people executing different strategies to gain an advantage in a balanced map etc.

Maybe there could be a simple forum thread where anyone can post their replays? face-smile.png

Top Quote