Two reasons why the behaviour is okay face-grin.png :

• The computer player is still stupid, even with this "cheat" face-wink.png

• The computer player of Settlers 2 did the same face-wink.png

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-05-20, 12:26

The problem is that of course players can also remember where resources are. If i play the same map 2 or 3 times in a row I at least remember which spot i have to place my coal mine. That of course can be solved if we could implement 'resource rotation among mountain edges' (at the same piece of mountain resources could be located in a slightly different order)

Sorry, but I dislike that point - it would destruct the idea of many maps: At least when I create a map, I think a lot about the spots for mining. And if you take a look at the other maps it seems as if the other creators did the same - in most cases gold is the key for your victory, so it shouldn't be too easy to reach ... etc...

Maybe we should also thinking about what we would consider cheating in widelands. I'm sure there will be some point that someone will implement the 'full visible hack in multiplayer games'. We probally won't be able to avoid all cheats but maybe if we at least think about what we want to allow we can somewhat reduce it.

Are you talking about F5 ? face-grin.png

Of course you are right, that we should keep track about such things in future, but a complete secure game is just impossible, even if you compare md5 sums of the game binaries, the client side might have changed the code so instead of sending it's own md5 sum, it will send the md5 sum that the server wants to see. -> That's simply one small negative point of open source face-wink.png - anyway, all bigger "cheats" are already avoided via checks on server side -> players can't send a command for another player, they can't higher their resource amount, can't higher building speed or building costs, or soldier strength... so all they could do at the moment would be revealing the whole map and (with a lot more code to write) looking into the buildings of their enemies (but without taking control)

To conclude: at the moment there is no reason for spending a lot of time into cheat avoidments

Edited: 2009-05-20, 12:26

Top Quote
sigra

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2009-05-20, 12:42

Nasenbaer wrote: Of course you are right, that we should keep track about such things in future, but a complete secure game is just impossible, even if you compare md5 sums of the game binaries, the client side might have changed the code so instead of sending it's own md5 sum, it will send the md5 sum that the server wants to see. -> That's simply one small negative point of open source

No, it is not a problem of open source. It is a problem of parallel simulation. With parallel simulation, all users have the complete game on their system and can see everything (like in chess). To implement a game with incomplete knowledge requires a client/server structure, like Freeciv (open source) does it. Widelands could do that too, but it is a lot of work.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-05-20, 12:45

Yes you are right at that point :)!

Anyway I don't think that there is a need for such source code changes at the moment.

Top Quote
Dwarik

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-05-20, 12:48

i need, maybe, but certainly not a desire or the manpower to actually do the work

Top Quote
yohann

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2009-05-20, 14:25

anyway, apart from looking at opponent building, seeing the whole map, including resource location spoil campaigns but can be considered as a feature when multiplayed, because it assure equity between players who knows the map and thoose who don't.

Top Quote