Latest Posts

Topic: Better cursor_clicked.png

nomeata

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2011-11-05, 00:01

Hi graphics people,

I have just implemented visual feedback when pressing a mouse button: When the mouse is pressed, cursor_clicked.png is used instead of cursor.png, which is really cool (and reminds me of the Siedler II game back then...).

Unfortunately, cursor_clcked.png is not ideal, as the tip of the finger is moved down. A better graphic would be not moving the index finger down, but rather bend it through, but leave the tip (almost) where it was. Then there is no ambiguity as to what pixel was clicked.

The current curser.png was created in 2008 by someone called eldamar, is he still around? If not, who else wants to step up?

Thanks and greetings from WiHack, Joachim

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-11-05, 07:11

Greeting all you WiHackers!

I just looked at the pictures in question.
(though I will have to see the action in the game, of course).

It seems to me that bending that finger would be a very unnatural way of doing a mouse-click.
If it is the displacement of the fingertip that makes you want another graphic, we may do better
with adjusting the position of that whole picture so that the fingertip keeps its position.
You may want to try this file for testing the effect.
On the other hand that may be too much of a movement to look good in a simply change of one graphic
(i.e. it may need one or two animated picture in between).
Can your new code accomodate this?

Speaking of Settlers, I rememember that one version also gave an audible feedback by
a short "Yep!", which I found extremely cute at the time. face-smile.png
How about that?

Edited: 2011-11-06, 14:04

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
nomeata

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2011-11-05, 12:37

Hmm, I did not find the movement unnatural. At least not if you consider the screen to be vertical in front of you, and then you touch it slightly. (If you use the metaphor of a flat, horizontal board in front of you, then the current cursor works better).

I took a screenshot of the mouse from a Siedler II Demo, for inspiration: http://www.joachim-breitner.de/various/siedler-mouse1.png http://www.joachim-breitner.de/various/siedler-mouse2.png

I’m not sure about having a sound for every click. Won’t that become annoying?

Greetings, Joachim

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-11-05, 16:54

Ah - I see - misunderstanding. I thought you meant something like a claw with "bending through".
You want a forceful hyperextension! Got it now.
Yes, this makes more sense. I can try - but mot today, I'm afraid.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-11-06, 14:03

I had to change both pictures, since the hand was shown a bit too much from the rear and
the index finger was too short.
Hope nobody complaines about the increased size, but otherwise the effect was barely visible.
Here is an attempt. I guess it comes near to what you inteded.
cursor.png
cursor_click.png

As for the sound, I guess you're right - unless you can switch it off, it will become a bit too distracting.

Edited: 2011-11-06, 14:06

Top Quote
nomeata

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2011-11-06, 14:21

Hi.

nice, I like it. The effect is quite subtle, but maybe that is a good thing. It might be one of the things that people won’t notice immediately, and then you point (hehe) it out to them and suddenly they realize it.

Greetings, Joachim

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-11-06, 15:24

committed in r6082.

Top Quote