Latest Posts

Topic: Barbarian metalworks/axefactory/warmill Remodel

chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-10-02, 18:45

Introducing the axefactory and the metalworks which has been updated for the transition:
metalworks:
mw
axefactory:
af

and here is how they look while idle in the game:
snip

I think they are different enough to be identifiable. A quick look above the door is all that is really needed (if you don't count the chimneys face-wink.png ).

Here are samples to test for yourself if you wish to:
metalworks: mws mwpcs
axefactory: afs afpcs

What do you think?

I see little people.

Top Quote
hjd

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2011-10-02, 21:01

I just noticed that with the new metalworks, the upgrade process to axe factory looks a bit strange. Since the metalworks is larger than the axe factory, it will keep only the upper left rectangle which is common so the parts to the far right and bottom get cut off, leaving an odd looking building where the upgrade animation added on top of. Though I assume this will be sorted out as soon as all the buildings are upgraded?

I also found the new building quite gray compared to the others, but I am still not sure if this is simply because I am used to the other building or if it really sticks out. (Oh, and I saw parts of the discussion why you choose a lighter color, and I do get your point.)

Ships!

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-10-02, 21:30

hjd wrote: I just noticed that with the new metalworks, the upgrade process to axe factory looks a bit strange. Since the metalworks is larger than the axe factory, it will keep only the upper left rectangle which is common so the parts to the far right and bottom get cut off, leaving an odd looking building where the upgrade animation added on top of. Though I assume this will be sorted out as soon as all the buildings are upgraded?

Yes. It will. face-smile.png

I also found the new building quite gray compared to the others, but I am still not sure if this is simply because I am used to the other building or if it really sticks out. (Oh, and I saw parts of the discussion why you choose a lighter color, and I do get your point.)

All of the civilian buildings will be given new facades.

Sorry for the mix-up with the samples. Try these for the metalworks:
mw mwpc

I'll try to push the animations to trunk ASAP and will post a note HERE when they are THERE. face-wink.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-10-02, 21:49

The new axefactory has been pushed to trunk in rev # 6010. Build animation for it is still being developed and will follow shortly.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-10-03, 10:11

My turn to try and catch my breath now, I guess.... face-smile.png
I tried both the models in the game.
The metalworks is now almost perfect and I like your table-top solution.
I think it really helped.
We do have another Z-layer problem thought (hotspot 60 66) with the west side.

Another issue may be the light-wood colored lines at the eaves of the thatched roofs.
The larger picture shows that you are really showing a cut-away edge of the reed. Depending on the geographical regions there are several styles to this (basically vertically, horizontally and 90° to the slanting). Quite independent of these styles and the shadow they cast, one fact remains: These parts are always the ones to dry last after a rain, and all the dirt and dust on the roof will be washed down to there. So they will only appear a lighter color on a very young roof for a short period of time.
This, however, is not the state that the roof as whole shows. You have gone for a somewhat aged appearance (a good choice, I think), but you may now need to color those lines a lot darker to really transport their meaning. Since they are probably elements of their own, I hope it is not too much work.

Now on to the axefactory:
My biggest misgiving is with totally covering the furnace - or furnaces.
Not only that fire is always an attraction in itsself, I also have a suspicion that this is the key element for many that they will look for when trying to identify metalworks, an axefactory or a warmill on their territory. I realized I was myself doing that.
The two chimneys is a nice feature and it certainly helps, but I feel we're loosing something important without a fire in any kind of smithy.
I think you may have done that, because the L-shaped roof is an important distinction, but cutting it away and showing more of the 2 furnaces will make even more visual impact than the new roof.
We will probably have more L-shaped roofs whithin the barbarian set of buildings when all is done.
So far it is not hard to spot the axefactory, but that may well change. These are only my own preferences of course, and I would not be surprised if you already had a plan for the war mill. I hope my ideas fit in there somehow. Here are some more...

Instead of extending the roof in the south-eastern wall, cutting the mansonry in the upper part of the furnace may also be an alternative.
I might open the view onto the northern furnace in addition.
A forged iron post to support the roof structure may be good enough. After all this is a blacksmith's home! face-smile.png
So, these are my ideas. Anything usuable for your plans?

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-10-03, 14:25

Astuur wrote: My turn to try and catch my breath now, I guess....
I tried both the models in the game.
The metalworks is now almost perfect and I like your table-top solution. I think it really helped. We do have another Z-layer problem thought (hotspot 60 66) with the west side.

There is little I can do in that regard aside from moving the wall east which would shorten the whole building. I would prefer to leave it as it is and hopefully induce a coding solution. face-wink.png

Another issue may be the light-wood colored lines at the eaves of the thatched roofs. ... Since they are probably elements of their own, I hope it is not too much work.

That should be a quick fix.

Now on to the axefactory:
My biggest misgiving is with totally covering the furnace - or furnaces.

I suspected that I would hear about that. face-smile.png

Not only that fire is always an attraction in itsself, I also have a suspicion that this is the key element for many that they will look for when trying to identify metalworks, an axefactory or a warmill on their territory. I realized I was myself doing that. The two chimneys is a nice feature and it certainly helps, but I feel we're loosing something important without a fire in any kind of smithy.
I think you may have done that, because the L-shaped roof is an important distinction, but cutting it away and showing more of the 2 furnaces will make even more visual impact than the new roof.

I understand what you wish to achieve and appreciate your reasoning. I'll tinker some more with the forge area. I was nervous about a thatch roof over a forge any way. face-smile.png

...A forged iron post to support the roof structure may be good enough. After all this is a blacksmith's home!

I think the barbarians would prefer iron for tools and weapons over building materials. One post could make a LOT of axe heads. face-smile-big.png

So, these are my ideas. Anything usuable for your plans?

Definitely, as always. face-wink.png Firming up the design always takes longer than the actual modeling. Thanks.

Does anyone else have some comments or ideas to share. Now is a good time to express them, because I doubt I will devote much more attention to these once I address the warmill and changes here (i.e. with the metalworks and axefactory) can have impacts on the warmill.

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-10-03, 20:03

In rev #6017 to the trunk, I have re-sized the metalworks and axefactory, scaling down their width by 10 pixels. We'll see how that works out.

I've thought about Astuur's suggestion to open up the forge area for a better view of the fires, and I agree that it should be done. I just am having a brain lock-up as to how to go about it. Keep the shed roof and keep that resemblance to the metalworks? Put a half roof over the forges made of thatch or some other material?

Here is what I think I'll try: I'll keep the framing that is there now over the forges and thatch the back side and cover the front side with strips of wood (i.e. lath) narrow and spaced widely enough to provide a view from the playing angle.

If anyone has another (and probably BETTER) solution, please let me know. Thanks.

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-10-03, 21:00

This is the roof design I was trying to explain above:
afroof1

The lathing gives it a pergola effect, don't you think? I'm still uncomfortable with the thatch over the forges, though. Lathing on both sides of the roof makes more sense to me. In fact, by opening up the southeast wall, I could probably put a full roof on anyway and still have good visibility to the fires.

(And yes, the ridge pole doesn't extend all the way to the end. This is just a mock up.) face-smile.png

Also, if any of you have noticed the darker stone used on parts of the "working" metalworks forge, and continued into the axefactory I pushed in 6017, I meant it to look like the forge had been smoke-stained through use. You can see here that I have abandoned that idea and have kept it the original color. And, in case you didn't notice the darker stone, that is all the more reason to abandon the idea. face-grin.png

What do YOU think, of this approach for the roof, that is?

I see little people.

Top Quote
Shevonar

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2011-10-03, 22:21

I'm always excited to see your new work, Chuck :) However, this time I'm a little bit disappointed. I don't like the lathing at all face-sad.png I think you should stick to the full roof and open wall. Apart from that great work as always. I'm looking forward to your next remodeled building face-grin.png

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-10-03, 22:45

Shevonar wrote: I'm always excited to see your new work, Chuck

Thanks!

However, this time I'm a little bit disappointed. I don't like the lathing at all I think you should stick to the full roof and open wall.

I agree wholeheartedly! face-smile.png Besides, I was getting a headache trying to come up with a viable way of altering the roof. face-grin.png

Apart from that great work as always. I'm looking forward to your next remodeled building

Me, too!

I see little people.

Top Quote