Latest Posts

Topic: Models Contribution

MaximB

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2009-05-11, 12:59

Hello ! I don't play Widelands much but I loved Settlers 2 and wasted years on it.

I'm very happy that Widelands is Free source game and it's graphic released under the CC . I'm also happy that you use Blender for most of the 3d models.

I also use Blender (used to use it a lot few years ago but now I don't have much time).

Anyways while I'm on my way from work on the Train I play with Blender. I begun making a castle model (the walls are pretty much finished). When I finish this model I will release it under the CC license as I do with all of my creative works (I write poems too face-wink.png ).

While the model is not yet finished I want to know to which building to create it that you can use for Widelands. As I've said currently the model is basically medieval walls and towers (so I cannot create a Shipyard from it face-wink.png ).

What do you need that I can create from it ?

Top Quote
sigra

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2009-05-11, 13:25

I am not the graphics person, but I will try to answer. Our graphics are actually under the GNU GPL. We have some castles already. You may suggest improvements to them. If you want to create a new castle, it should fit into a new tribe that will be created some time (northmen, asians, egyptians, ...), and we need a whole set of building with uniform architectural style.

Top Quote
MaximB

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2009-05-11, 15:25

After discussing it in the IRC channel I will Dual License so you can also use it in Widelands. One will be under CC-BY-SA and the other will be under GPLv3.

So you should have no problems.

Edited: 2009-05-11, 15:25

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-05-11, 17:28

If it's fine with you, GPL v.2 would be better, as widelands is currently distributed under GPL v.2 face-smile.png and we once decided to keep GPL v.2 at the moment (do not know the reasons for 100% - I think it was something about "too strong copyleft" or something like that - but well it can be read in the mailinglists archives, but shouldn't matter anyway, as all GPL v.2 files can be releases under GPL v.3 - just not the other way around ... :-/)

So if you license them under GPL v.3 we would either need to distribute the whole package under GPL v.3 (unwanted) or to distribute your art with seperate license file...

Looking forward for your answer face-smile.png

Cheers Nasenbaer

Top Quote
MaximB

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2009-05-13, 13:18

Mmmmm... I think "GPL2 or later" should do the trick.

Can you please explain why you didn't want to "upgrade" to GPL3 ? As I see it while the improvements aren't much, but forbidding DRM like shit and easier license resolution and other little things are all for the better.

P.S Is there any place I can upload my "unfinished" work for your review ? I don't think svn is a good option as those are models and not code.

Edited: 2009-05-13, 13:20

Top Quote
mattes

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2009-10-01, 09:14

I'd like to make models for a new tribe.

What I have in mind is more exotic:

Egyptians, Inca, Numidians, Orientals or Asians.

Is anybody already working on one of these?

Top Quote
mattes

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2009-10-01, 09:17

Any restrictions on models? Any tipps or anything? (I know how to use blender)

Top Quote
death

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-10-01, 13:15

You should use the render stage from media SVN and pehaps learn about how player colors are used in widelants. Theres a script to help you render the masks for your models. See one of the exisiting models on how to use it. BAsically you add your colored objects into PlayerColor group, run the script and then render. Do not save after running the script tho, the changes may not undo properly.

Top Quote
mattes

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2009-10-02, 01:36

renderstage sounds good. script too. But where do I find this? Got a link to the media SVN?

I tried http://wl.widelands.org/wiki/DownloadPage/#subversion_svn

Edited: 2009-10-02, 01:36

Top Quote
death

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-10-02, 12:05

http://wl.widelands.org/svn/

Thats the media SVN link. You can jsut download files you need from there.

The render stage is here: http://wl.widelands.org/svn/graphics/stock_sources/blender_set_templates/

Also, for monving things theres arender stage that rendsers in several angles.

As ag eneral tip. Use common materials for your tribes buildings and derve buildings from another. it crates a unified look.

Top Quote