Latest Posts

Topic: Barbarian Fortress/Citadel Models

chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-09, 19:39

MEA CULPA

Some great spotting by Tino led to the correction of the viewing angle for the fortress.
"bad angle": old fort headquarters: hq corrected: fixed
I have pushed the fix in rev #5972.

The citadel is effected, too. I'll push its fix ASAP. Until then, the first build frame of the upgrade is going to look WAY off! Rest assured that I am working on it. face-smile.png

THANKS again, Tino!

I see little people.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-09-09, 20:32

I must confess, I didn’t realised the difference… It’s not that obvious, but you both are of course right, that it has to be corrected, when somebody saw it.

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
Tino

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-09-09, 20:46

No need to hurry, the difference is really minor. I just noticed because i built the fortess next to my HQ.

In my opinion i would have thought the HQ's angle bad, i like the shallower viewing angle. But of course it has to fit to the other buildings in the game. Just because i am curius: Is the angle completely defined by the isometric perspective of the game engine, or was it at some point the graphics team which decided 10 blender units is the standard?

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-09, 22:01

Tino wrote: No need to hurry, the difference is really minor. I just noticed because i built the fortess next to my HQ.

Too late! The fix for the fortress is in rev #5792. face-grin.png

In my opinion i would have thought the HQ's angle bad, i like the shallower viewing angle. But of course it has to fit to the other buildings in the game. Just because i am curius: Is the angle completely defined by the isometric perspective of the game engine, or was it at some point the graphics team which decided 10 blender units is the standard?

That was decided long before I came to the project. Some one other than me will have to answer how the "viewing angle" was decided. One benefit of the steeper angle is a better view of the courtyards and shorter elements that are otherwise obscured by stuff in the foreground. Take notice of the well in the fortress courtyard for example.

Edited: 2011-09-09, 22:02

I see little people.

Top Quote
hjd

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2011-09-10, 00:11

The flag I positioned on top of the citadel because I think that is where the barbarians would want it, high and commanding.

Just to clearify, I didn't mean it was in the wrong place, just a different place. face-smile.png Anyways, I really like how it's turning out.

Ships!

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-10, 15:11

hjd wrote:

Just to clearify, I didn't mean it was in the wrong place, just a different place. Anyways, I really like how it's turning out.

Thanks, hjd!

My misstep with the camera position has put me behind with the citadel, but I'm making progress. IN the mean time, here is a peak at the build sequence which still needs some work: cit_build

Comments and suggestions are always welcome!

I see little people.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-10, 18:21

chuckw wrote: Comments and suggestions are always welcome!

No suggestion, but a comment: Coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool! :) Chuck you surpass yourself again and again!

I am looking forward to see this great animations in game.

Top Quote
hjd

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2011-09-10, 19:11

I really like how the wall is gradually replaced. face-smile.png Also, that explained how the house ended up at the top of the "tower".

One suggestion: have you experimented with trying to make it look like the moat is gradually filled with water, at least in the last few frames? That may help creating the illusion that it has to be filled, or of the groundwater seeping in. See how it works first though, because I suspect this is one of those things which will either look really good or it will be just weird and impossible to understand what it actually represents.

Ships!

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-11, 18:04

hjd wrote: One suggestion: have you experimented with trying to make it look like the moat is gradually filled with water, at least in the last few frames? That may help creating the illusion that it has to be filled, or of the groundwater seeping in. See how it works first though, because I suspect this is one of those things which will either look really good or it will be just weird and impossible to understand what it actually represents.

That's a neat idea. I'll play with it and see what I can achieve. Thanks!

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-12, 04:27

The build animation for the citadel is finally complete and has been pushed to the trunk in rev #5975.

It has been fun working on the fortress and citadel, but I am DEFINITELY ready to work on something ELSE now. face-smile.png

Comments are always welcome.

I see little people.

Top Quote