Latest Posts

Topic: Game suggestion

player123

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-09-06, 16:44

Fish are a resource that is artificially limited in this game (and in settlers 1 & 2) also. I've never seen why this should be. If we can have a forester who replants forests, surely we can have a fish breeder who restocks water ways.

Given that fish are important to leveling up your fighters in the training camp/arena/Colosseum it is even more important than ever to ensure sufficient supplies. You could also substitute fish for meat in snacks/meals, but the miner would only work half as hard compared to a preferred/favorite snack/meal.

Edited: 2011-09-06, 17:24

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-09-06, 18:03

The consumable ressources are used different by every tribe:

The Barbarians have the gamekeeper to „produce“ new animals, that no other tribe has. The Empire mainly uses a pig farm to breed pigs, which no other tribe does. And the Atlanteans have a fish breeder (that you asked for) for breeding new fish, what the other tribes can’t do.

You see, in Widelands the differences between the tribes is more than just their look. face-wink.png You should play all the campaigns to get an impression of the differences.

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-09-06, 18:05

By the way: There is a forum thread named „Game suggestions“, where you can post such topics. And the title of this thread is not very meaningful…

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
player123

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-09-06, 19:05

That's all well and nice, but playing as empire, I have to have fish in the training camp & arena & Colosseum. The icon is for fish, not for pork.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-06, 19:44

player123 wrote: That's all well and nice, but playing as empire, I have to have fish in the training camp & arena & Colosseum. The icon is for fish, not for pork.

In that case you are actually wrong face-smile.png - you only need fish or meat - only one is needed, so even completely without fish, you can still train your soldiers.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-07, 10:18

Nasenbaer ist right, fish ist just a bonus for the Empire which is easily available at the beginning of the game. Later on, you naturally transition into meat.

btw, there is too much fish in the water imho. One very rarely gets the out of fish message. Maybe we should tweak this a bit downwards?

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-07, 10:27

SirVer wrote: btw, there is too much fish in the water imho. One very rarely gets the out of fish message. Maybe we should tweak this a bit downwards?

I believe the real problem is in fish resource placement via editor - there is only one fish image with a lot of fish, while the ores have 1 point, 3 points, ... showing how big the amount is - therefore most of the map creators (like me) think/thought that fish is a binary resource - but it is not and setting the "draw resource" brush to a size like 8 and wipeing it over the whole landscape brings pretty much maximum fish to all water places without knowledge of the map creator.

To conclude: we need smaller steps for the fish indicator icons to make clearer how much fish really is in the water - everything else should be map creator decission. face-smile.png

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-07, 11:19

SirVer said:

btw, there is too much fish in the water imho. One very rarely gets the out of fish message. Maybe we should tweak this a bit downwards?

I tend to think Nasebaer is right in this. Again, it all depends.
On maps, where there is not much water around, the fish will be out just as quickly as the venison.
It's at the mapmakers discretion to apply the "right" amount of fish for what he intends - and I think this is the only way that makes sense.

But to also add a little to the OP's topic: Yes, producing food for the empire is indeed harder than for the other tribes. I have been saying so for ages, but noboody seems to care.

• The Barabarians only need a landmass (always given) and a two small building (hunter; gamekeeper) that must not themselves be supported.

• The Atlanteans have the additional risk of needing a waterbody on the map but otherwise the conditions are similar (fisher, fishbreeder are also small buildings)

• The Empire, however, has no sustainable food that they can consume as it comes from the map. They need one (later multiple) piggeries (big buildings), that additionally need water (well) and here their meat is produced from the same resource pool (wheat) that must also provide bread and beer; so they need considerably more farms (big buildings) than other tribes.
    Add to this the whole wine business ....

To sum it up: Don't play the empire in a confined space!

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
Caprealis

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2011-10-13, 07:07

I think the Atlanteans need a way to produce meat, Similar to the Gamekeeper(or piggery) I keep getting screwed over late game because there is nothing to hunt. face-confused.png

Edited: 2011-10-13, 07:09

Good questions - Better answers.
Also, Play Dwarf Fortress.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-10-13, 07:11

The Atlantean protein ressource is not meat, but fish. Built fishermen huts, and Fishbreeders - and forget about hunting if you'replaying the Atlanteans.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote