Latest Posts

Topic: Empire "Re-Roofing" Project

chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-12, 21:06

The trees & roof material used for the Empire tribe buildings (the weaponsmithy in particular) was a matter of attention in this recent forum thread.
A natural progression from that discussion was a decision to adjust the materials used in the rest of the appropriate Empire building models.
An example of the changes intended can be seen in this graphic showing the new model of the armor smithy (on the left) and the old model (on the right.):
armoury
I think we have achieved a better representation of the tiled roof in the new model. I also took the opportunity to include samples of the actual Empire armor, helmet and shield wares (scaled to the building). Finally, I "spruced" up the plantings. (Pun intended :D)
So I invite any Blender artists who may have some time on their hands face-smile-big.png to join in the fun. I will make the new blend files available in the media branch as time permits so the various materials can be appended to the works in progress.
You can expect to see each new model presented for your review and input here in this thread before it goes into the game.

Let me hear your comments and inquiries.

By the way, if you have been considering GettingStarted in Widelands Graphics Development with the Blender 3D modelling program, this particular effort is a great opportunity to try out Blender with some existing models instead of trying to create something from scratch. Again, questions are always welcome. face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-13, 12:00

I have to say something in general, not just for this thread: Unfortunally I wasn't able to participate in the previous discussions about graphics in last time, but well... seems there was no need to anyways ;). All the submissions to bzr lately as well as pictures I see in this or other posts just look GREAT!!!! face-smile.png face-smile.png face-smile.png

A big thank you from my side for all you graphicians! face-smile.png Just: Super great work!!!

Cheers Peter

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-13, 14:48

@Nasenbaer: On behalf of all of the graphicians, I can say it is really nice to hear your opinion and appreciation of our efforts. It means a lot, especially coming from someone with your history with the project.

Thank you for your comments, "One Elder of Players".:))

I see little people.

Top Quote
hjd

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2011-08-13, 21:15

Nice.

Though I did like the red color on the previous roof better. The new one looks a bit "tame" (don't know how to describe it better). But I guess if the color is too dark it will no longer be possible to see that the roof is made up of tiles, and I really like the tiles. It probably fits better in when I get to see it close to lots of other tiled buildings as well.

Ships!

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-13, 23:19

Thanks, hjd. The bright red, while attractive, did not really give the definition to the roof tiles I was trying to achieve. I'll try to get the new weaponsmithy and armoursmithy pushed to the trunk soon. Once they are there it will be easier for people to try them in the game and get their comments, too.

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-16, 21:05

Here is the work I have done on the armorsmithy:
Before: old and After: new
and in the Game with player color: PC
In addition to the roof, I have replaced the old armor with copies of actual empire soldier armor. I up-scaled the shield and armor and added PlayerColor to improve their identification and hence the identification of the building. Also, I have animated the build and working sequences.

I'll push the changes to the development trunk to make it easier to try out the new stuff in the game.

Comments always welcome.

Edit: Added in-game snapshot

Edited: 2011-08-16, 22:30

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-16, 21:31

The new models for the empire weaponsmithy and armorsmithy have been pushed to the development trunk in rev #5936.

Comments please. face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
smoku

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-08-16, 22:54

chuckw wrote: Comments please.

Simply brilliant. face-grin.png

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-17, 03:31

Thanks, smoku. face-smile.png
I couldn't let the weaponsmithy go without build and working animation. So you will find some in rev #5937.

Hope you like it.

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-17, 03:48

FYI - The Blender files for the new armory and weaponsmithy have been pushed to the media branch in rev #151. The new tiled roof material can be found and appended from either model.

I see little people.

Top Quote