Latest Posts

Topic: New swamp terrain

Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-05-05, 07:22

I like the texture of Fraangs new swamp terrain.
The color seems a little too blueish and "clean".
Maybe a "dirty" green, -> olive, would be better?

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
fraang

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2011-05-05, 13:02

I think the olive green would remind to much of the "dry" grass. But I am interessted what ohters think of it.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-05-05, 13:27

Well, could one of you perhaps provide a picture of the current vs. the new version, please? It’s hard to discuss something, if you can’t see, what you’re talking about. face-wink.png

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
fraang

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2011-05-05, 17:25

Here is screenshot of the new one:

http://wl.widelands.org/forum/topic/672/?page=9#post-4990

At the moment I can't make a screenshot of the old one because I am not on my own machine.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-05-05, 18:50

I do not have Fraang's source file with the new texture, so this is the old texture, but
with colors I find suitable for Greenland swamp. Compared with the current one, the texture is a little contrast enhanced, and the tint is slightly olive/brown.

If anyone wants to try out in the editor, then
here is the /Widelands/worlds/greenland/pics/sumpf_00.png

Here is the swamp, as it currentl is, for comparison.....
Next idea is , to try some specks and patches of water inside the bitmap

Edited: 2011-05-06, 17:26

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-05-07, 07:42

Here is a draft on that idea

Top Quote
ajasio

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2011-05-08, 09:09

hi. About the Swamp Texture: I made it mutch years ago primary as 'animated' texture witch looks more like a wet swamp. But 5-6 years ago widelands wasn't so sophisticated.

but..uhm. Today I don't like the textures. *g

I hoped there have today a higher resolution/use a bigger pattern. (actually is it only 16x16pix(?)) Thats was the reason why the water looks so....ugly. face-wink.png

PS: Excuse my bad english.

Edited: 2011-05-08, 09:14

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-02, 15:18

Sorry about the late post, but I am just now getting back up to speed. face-smile.png

@ajasio: Thanks for your comments and your pioneering work! (And no apologies needed for your English! You don't want to see my German! :D)
Animating the texture would certainly convey the unstable nature of the ground. I'd like to see some animation restored.

I like fraang's new texture, too, but I agree it could be "dirtier" (maybe more algae and green water). Doctor it up and then we'll see about animating it.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-15, 07:43

Chuck wrote:

Animating the texture would certainly convey the unstable nature of the ground. I'd like to see some animation restored.

I agree --- but what exactly is it, that should be animated?
There are no real waves (like with the ice_flows animations) - so what should be the driving force?
What movements are there in a swamp? Wind on water patches, maybe.
Some bubbles emerging from time to time. (but 1 bubble on each and every tile within a reasonable playing time for the animation, will give you a sychronized "boiling" effect and looks ridiculous.)
hmm... any ideas, anyone?

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-15, 19:57

I was thinking of animation along the lines of a gentle undulation (waves). We don't want it too pronounced, though, and we don't want to produce another "synchronized swimming" or as you put it, "boiling" effect. face-sad.png

No one said this would be easy... face-wink.png

I see little people.

Top Quote