Latest Posts

Topic: Discussing Blackland: Boulders, Quarry Stones and Cliffs

chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-11, 18:41

Astuur wrote:

Well Chuck, I was hoping for some explanation, not that sort of treatise!

face-smile.png I welcomed the opportunity to collect my thoughts on the matter and try to express my method of operation. (Besides, I tend to be rather verbose at times.) face-smile.png

Besides, you have already done the size adjustment, and your sizing routines may be better than mine. I used bicubic. Case settled.

FYI - Here is a short write up on BlenderPerspective in the Widelands Wiki with some comments about resizing (near the bottom of the page.)
(EDIT: After double checking my down-scaling techniques in GIMP, I was reminded that I, too, use interpolation: cubic. (unlike the wiki article))

It does, however, raise another, more general question: That about the relative importence of graphics vs. gameplay. This is directly linked to the size that our objects take on screen. When I design things I run WL in 640x480 on 24" monitor fullscreen, when I play I use higher resolutions up to 1900x1200 for a better overview. But lately I have shown WL on my living room TV (44")at 1900x1080. That made me realize how much I miss of all those nice little details and anims when things get too small.

Screen resolution for WL is another hot topic, as noted in these outstanding bug reports.

What I want to say with this, is that I think we need some sort of guidline for what screen sizes and resolutions we are doing this stuff. And maybe we could come up with a recommendation about these things for the players.

Great idea! And one for which I will invite input from the entire community. It is a topic worthy of its own wiki page in my estimation.

Great photo!!! face-grin.png Now I didn't say huge menhirs couldn't exist in real life, did I? I'm just not the graphics elder for the real world. face-wink.png
It really IS a great photo.

Edited: 2011-08-12, 00:42

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-12, 18:56

I have finshed the white limestone variant of the boulders for Blackland. (80%)
Here is how they look together with the quarry stones.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-12, 19:18

VERY Nice! THIS ice cream isn't going to melt very soon. face-wink.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
Marcelo_do_Pagode
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-08-13, 18:15

The green ones look like scooby-doo monsters face-tongue.png

Marcelo do Pagode
Ubuntu 11.04
Colorado com muito orgulho!

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-13, 18:22

Hi Marcelo,
...had to look up what that is (scooby-doo monsters).

What are you talking about, the green trees or the green-black stones?

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-13, 18:45

Astuur, I think I can help clarify Marcelo's "scooby-doo monsters" reference. face-smile.png

First, "Scooby-Doo" is an animated dog character in a TV cartoon series. "Scooby" and his friends chase down and are chased by purported ghosts and monsters (also of the cartoon variety.) Hence "scooby-doo monsters". face-smile-big.png

I believe Marcelo is referring to the green "trees" in your snapshot. I can see a resemblance to the TV cartoon "guest appearances". face-grin.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-13, 19:00

Hi Chuck!
Aha ... face-grin.png -- tried on YouTube but got "not licenced for Germany, sorry".
Oh, well -- yes, they have an spooky air about them, but I must say, I really like them.
Alexia's work, I guess. Most stuff on Blackland seems to be hers.
I only wished she had somehow clarified what she intended "Blackland" to be.
Hope I don't spoil her concept with my additions.
Do you have any clearer notion what blackland is all about? Own concepts or from hear-say?

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-13, 19:40

Aside from my comments posted above, based on the design of the original vegetation created for the blackland world, I believe it was intended to be a "fantastic" world filled with "fantastic" elements, a world of fire and ash forever in the twilight of an ash darkened sky.

The descriptions in Nasenbaer's maps that use the blackland world ("Firegames" and "The Ancient Sun of Fire" for example) refer to the place as "created by the gods" and therefor a place of unnatural or supernatural qualities.

As graphicians creating stuff for blackland, perhaps we should take this as a license to exercise our own "god-like" ambitions. face-smile.png

As I said, let your imagination be your guide and then let the community or the mapmakers decide what may be TOO "fantastic". face-grin.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-13, 20:04

Alright then....
It seem we quite often agree in our judgement, so, if I find something to do chances are you'll agree to the general direction.
I'll got for an animated swamp next, I think.....

Top Quote