Latest Posts

Topic: suggesting a radical change for Blackland waters

Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-09, 12:25

As I have pointed out before, I don't like the current Blackland water for its color.

This is what we currently have:
as is

I could image that a dark turqoise tint could transport both, a slightly "alien" look, and a "darkish" mood, without being so ugly.
But I admit it's quite a drastic change, and not everybody might be happy with it.
So, here is a suggestion.
This would be animated just like the Greenland water. I've only changed the texture in colors.
Fist one is SDL rendered, 2nd is Open GL.
SDL

Open GL

Comments are welcome as ususal.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
Marcelo_do_Pagode
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-08-09, 16:08

I share the same opinion. Your alternatives seems fine.

Marcelo do Pagode
Ubuntu 11.04
Colorado com muito orgulho!

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-09, 21:27

@Astuur: If you make a copy of the blackland water files available, I can commit them to the next version I push. I am of the mind to put your new blackland water animation in the game and then field the complaints, if any, that may arise. face-grin.png I think it is the best way to get reactions from the largest audience.

Oh, did I say I LIKED your greenland water animation? face-wink.png You can consider that (and your desert and winterland water & ice floe animations) as good as in.

Fine work!!!

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-10, 07:05

This is all happening very suddenly now.
But, yes - I understand that this may bring up some more comments.
Hope, I don't forget how to do these; the process is a bit complicated. face-smile.png
One of the drawback of the new anims is, that an uneven (hilly) water surface shows even clearer.
Here are the blackland water animation tiles.
I mean here

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-10, 15:56

Astuur's new water animation for blackland has been pushed to the development trunk in rev #5934. Thanks! face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote