Latest Posts

Topic: Misleading icons

Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-07-28, 07:39

Stumbled across some icons for the Empire, that we might want to change, because they lead to the wrong conclusions:
The idea is not to show graphical information contradicting the game.

/widelands/tribes/Empire/geologist/menu.png shows a pick, but geologists really use a hammer.
/widelands/tribes/Empire/toolsmith/menu.png shows fire-tongs, but the toolsmith's tool is the saw.
/widelands/tribes/Empire/winefarmer/menu.png shows a scythe, but the chap uses a shovel.
/widelands/tribes/Empire/stonemason/menu.png shows a hammer, but stonemasons have a pick.

There is also the female innkeeper who's haircolor is exaclty the red player color (or close) and that always makes me think of
an unnoticed "red" invasion... (hmm.. must have heard that term before somewhere face-smile.png )
And finally the menu.png for the fisherman should probably use something closer to my new fishing rod icon (if that is accepted)
just for consistency.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-07-28, 17:03

Generally agreed :), but:

/widelands/tribes/Empire/winefarmer/menu.png shows a scythe, but the chap uses a shovel.

the winefarmer actually uses a basket, not a shovel. - I did not check it in the config file, but at least that's how it was and should be, so if he really uses a shovel nowadays, someone must have changed that ;), which would be a bug or even more a regression for me ;).

Cheers Peter

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-07-28, 19:33

I did check the conf file (bzr 5926) and the imperial vinefarmer in fact needs both, a shovel and a basket.
Seems a bit strange, as this is the only worker AFAIK that needs 2 tools, but that's how it is.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-07-28, 22:08

Astuur wrote: I did check the conf file (bzr 5926) and the imperial vinefarmer in fact needs both, a shovel and a basket. Seems a bit strange, as this is the only worker AFAIK that needs 2 tools, but that's how it is.

okay that's possible (sounds like one of my tribes balancing ideas face-wink.png ) - anyway I wanted to point out, that the worker needs a basket and that this would be more fitting in an image, as other workers need the shovel as well (forester...) face-smile.png

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-07-28, 22:59

Yes, I agree, it would be "fitting" for the content.
The problem may however be to make it fit the space for the icons.
We have the grapes there, and they' re almost indispensable for the profession.
They take a lot of space, and so does the basket.
The solution could be to combine the two (grapes in the basket)
We'll have to try out whether the grapes are still recognizable as such when put into the basket.

Top Quote
kingcreole

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-08-01, 11:46

how about something close to this: http://www.apples4theteacher.com/images/horn-of-plenty.gif ?? it would combine the two elements AND be easy to understand face-wink.png

live is my dancefloor as long as my lag works

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-01, 16:17

kingcreole wrote: how about something close to this: http://www.apples4theteacher.com/images/horn-of-plenty.gif ?? it would combine the two elements AND be easy to understand

The cornucopia is a good concept. Can you draw one up with only grape bunches for us to look at? Maybe give it a look like it is made from rushes or wicker (i.e. less yellow and more brown/gray).

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-01, 17:15

Yep, I like that idea, too.
(so "cornucopia" is the word.... didn't know what to call the thing face-smile.png )

Top Quote
kingcreole

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-08-01, 22:12

^^ in blender 2.5 we have the new liquid simulation looking a lot like a bunch of grapes fallig arround face-grin.png anyway i guess even if i don´t use that, i will be able to easily create something like that...

Top Quote
kingcreole

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-08-02, 09:52

got something finished here

in the smallest flickr size (75*75 pixles) this looks like this:

Top Quote