Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Official "play day" !?

Vico

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-11-19, 16:41

Due to popular demand (1 person in fact), here is the link to the replay of game 2, described by ixprefect right above. Since it was a pretty long game, I recommend not to watch it in 1x speed. Still it was an awesome game, many thanks to everyone who participated in this face-smile.png

http://www.mediafire.com/?tdko0zqhbv4hh3c

Top Quote
apelsinlax

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2010-11-19, 21:17

Awesome Vico! If anyone else wants to upload atleast I will watch the games! face-smile.png

Top Quote
malfattore

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2010-11-20, 08:15

hay. i have a problem. wen i kill a enemy, the game desappear

Top Quote
malfattore

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2010-11-20, 08:29

malfattore wrote: hay. i have a problem. wen i kill a enemy, the game desappear

Top Quote
ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-11-20, 11:08

malfattore: Is that problem related to that replay? I doubt it. You should open a new thread to talk about it, or a bug report in Launchpad. In any case, you need to provide more detail as to what you were doing and what happened. For example, what do you mean by "i kill a[n] enemy", and what do you mean by "the game disappears"?

Top Quote
luk3Z

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2010-11-25, 20:29

@Vico

Thanks for the link I want to watch it definitely face-smile.png

Top Quote
princess

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2011-05-18, 19:43

cool...

Top Quote
hjd

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2011-07-12, 21:16

Hi everyone.

I wonder if a play day such as this is something we should repeat, maybe even hold regularly. From time to time I have noticed people asking if others want to play in the IRC chat, but unfortunately this seldom results in a game. (Mostly because the others are too busy or other reasons.) So there are definitely people out there who want to play multiplayer, but are unable to find other players. I think the easiest solution would be to set a date a bit in advance and let people know so that there would be more than one person who wants to play. I imagine that if we are able to gather enough people who want to play in one place at the same time, the rest will take care of itself.

Therefore I suggest to hold a play day on Saturday 30th July.This is little over two weeks into the future, so hopefully most who check the forum from time to time would notice it. It is also far enough away to get some sense of how many who will be there.

Depending on how this works out (I have no idea at the moment) we may also want to look into making these play days more regular events. This is part of the reason why I have selected the last Saturday this month, which will be easy to remember, will be far enough between that hopefully most will show up but often enough for people to be able to know when they can play with other players. I have thought about this for a while, and noticed others who want to play, so I think all that is needed is an opportunity to gather all who want to play in one place.

PS. I realize this date will probably not fit for some, but then again that will probably be the case no matter which date is chosen. So if you can't make it, sorry, maybe next time?

Ships!

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-07-13, 09:59

That is a great idea and a good initiative. I will post a news item for this and add the event to the calendar. I suggest playing build 16 so that more people can get in on the fun and that we can easier enjoy the replays later on.

Top Quote
hjd

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2011-07-31, 16:33

My report of Widelands play day 30th July After a lot of initial problems, I ended up playing two times yesterday. Prior to the play day I had expected there would be someone there who would be able to host, so I hadn't really looked into how to set it up. Turned out we had a lot of people who wanted to play, but none who were able to host. After some attempts and spending a lot of time, I managed to set it up properly so that I could host at least. Also, sorry to gpat42 who I think left at some point (sort of understandable, though) before we got the game running.

The first game was me, MACGYVER and spiderswine on the 4-player map "Enemy in sight". We all built up and expanded our empires. The map is shaped like an X, and the center is filled with rocks which needs to be gathered before you can get to enemy territory. After large parts of the quarry was cleared, the AI player felt like attacking me, but I had a nice defense and was able to hold him off. Then I continued to add military buildings and training soldiers before I launched some attacks which eventually conquered the enemy Barrier. Since the HQ was closed I knocked down that pretty quickly. After that point, I kept expanding and conquering the rest of that territory. This of course caused me to own twice as much territory as the other players. So I placed a warehouse close to where the enemy HQ had been, and started building fortifications on that side as well. Both in order to be able to run that part of my territory independently of the rest, but also in case an attack would cause it to be cut off from the rest. At that point I had mostly spread out and started mining and food production in that part as well. While this happened I started planning how to deal with the other human players, and despite having been in a war with the AI player, I was still slightly ahead military wise. I very much doubt I could have taken them both if they had decided to team up against me though, and for some reason I don't think they had attacked each other at all throughout the game. Unfortunately we decided to take a short break so I paused the game. This for some reason caused the game to kick all the players after a while, so we didn't get to finish.

Instead we were joined by Kristin, and started playing a game of Collectors. Again I had some problems, but they didn't affect the other players and as I was host I left it up until they could finish the game.

I have replays of both games, and will submit them to !SirVer so that he can put them up on the site.

I know my post make it sound like there was a lot of problems, but the worst one; hosting, is now solved. So a potential play day on the last Saturday of August should go a lot smoother than yesterday. Also, I did notice a lot more people and games on the metaserver as well, so it looks like others were able to play as well.

Edit by !SirVer: Replays of game 1 can be found here and for game 2 here. Thanks for providing these hjd!

Update by hjd: For whoever is curious who is who in the replays, the first is starring: spiderswine (blue), MACGYVER (red), hjd (green), Agressive AI (yellow)

The second is starring: Kristin (blue), spiderswine (red), MACGYVER (yellow), hjd (green)

Edited: 2011-08-01, 19:57

Ships!

Top Quote