Latest Posts

Topic: Some random ideas regarding goods

down23

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-06-20, 20:29

Hi lately I had some ideas I wanna share with you.

Not sure how well those would fit in widelands nevertheless it could be interesting to see it.

kindergarten for Empire - Atlanteans: Needed to produce new grown settlers. Since settlers generate automatically in widelands why not giving them a more important role? In there you will see some little ones playing. The requirement to form new settlers could be bred and water. Eventually normal settlers will leave and march into the HQ or nearest storage hall. It could be just cosmetic or really replace the unlimited income of settlers like it is at the moment.

hatchery for Barbarians : Same as above just the barbarian version.

School, vocational school for Empire - Atlanteans: The schools form the qualified employees of tommorow. Requirements: All the different work tools for the different jobs. So whenever a fisher is needed a random settler will go to the school spend some seconds in it and leaves as a fisherman assuming a hinge was stored in it. The concept is from Knights & Merchants if you know that game. I think it is an interesting idea. It wont affect early gameplay due to the fact that people already have some fishers and other stuff. But it could be important in the later game so if he has no tool producing economy people could get in trouble.

Learn Dwelling for Barbarians: Same as above just for Barbarians.

Temple for all factions: Could need wine and makes it so that your soldiers take a bit less damage in battle or give more damage. But there are many possibilities what a temple could be used for. At least storywise I see many god talk so far in the 3 campaigns. But where are their temples to honor their gods? face-tongue.png

Random ideas:

• Whenever you receive a message regarding something I recommend adding a "jump to button" to go to the event when reading the message.

• It's really hard sometimes to see where and when you build something. Ok you can still use S&C button combis to see where what is placed. I still suggest to make newly placed construction zones a bit more large. Because you barely see the square at some terrain.

• It would be great if you could add some condition scripts to the maincore of the game. It happend to me more than once that I ran out of a certain type of item because I forgot to build an important building. Eventually I couldn't build it anymore because I was already out of the required items in order to build this important building forcing me to restart the game. Some messages like in settlers 1&2 etc. informing you about that would be great. Best on top of the screen like in old settlers2

• You should add different way colours on hills sometimes it's hard to see where a way is and where it is not on that terrain. I have a red-brown weakness. face-sad.png

Wishes: I would wish me several new map buildings which could play important roles for campaigns etc. For example more destroyed barrack types of all 3 factions like it is the case with several barbarian buildings already. Just think on the settlers2 campaign to get an idea what I mean by that.

Also some intact buildings would be great for example for Atlanteans some powerful epic looking buildings:

There are many possibilities for map object buildings. Story wise they could be certainly useful for the people their stories. Hope you guys like some of the ideas. Like I said they are just random how well they would fit into widelands must the devs decide.

greetings down23 face-smile.png

Edited: 2011-06-20, 20:43

Top Quote
martin

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-06-20, 21:07

Your idea of somehow "producing" carriers and educating workers sounds nice face-smile.png - remembers me a bit of AoE. Just a small hint: a fisherman needs a fishing rod rather than a hinge - the latter one has something to do with doors ;) However, I cannot tell whether this idea will fit into the game nor if it will be desired.

down23 wrote:

Whenever you receive a message regarding something I recommend adding a "jump to button" to go to the event when reading the message.

Try to press 'g' on your keyboard - it should bring you to the place that is associated with the currenty selected message. Unlike in settlers2, there is no gui button for the same behaviour.

Wishes: I would wish me several new map buildings which could play important roles for campaigns etc. For example more destroyed barrack types of all 3 factions like it is the case with several barbarian buildings already. Just think on the settlers2 campaign to get an idea what I mean by that.

Yes, I would also like to have a lot more buildings an other objects that you can place everywhere in the landscape. But someone will have to create those objects. In most cases, they just consist of one or more png pictures and a conf file. If you're familiar with computer graphics, you can of course take part in the creation of those buildings and other objects. Feel free to read the wiki article about graphics development face-smile.png

Top Quote
down23

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-06-21, 03:33

face-smile.png Oh you're right stupid translator matrix. face-tongue.png I'll try to keep that in mind.

As for the keyboard button really impressive I didn't know that and I've played all tutorials. Well perhaps i didn't see it. And if not this should get mentionend somewhere.

As for the graphic thing sure why not I can give it a try. I've created my own textures in the past for my half-life mod which is currently on ice. However painting little buildings completely by myself not sure if I can handle it. I was always bad in drawing. face-smile.png I will upload the outcome when it's done. Perhaps I'll start with something smaller some bottles , voodoo dolls like in settlers2 etc.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-06-21, 06:43

and yet another tip:

If your run into a deadlock (let's say you have wasted your last trunks and now cannot build your first lumberjack),
you can always leave the game, restart, and from the start dialog press "watch replay", identify the right "replay" and watch it
to the time, before you made the mistake. Then, while watching it, press the save game button.
This way you get an new saved game, and play on from there.
So, you don't need to start from the very beginning.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
martin

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-06-21, 08:54

@Astuur: sounds a bit like cheating, doesn't it? face-wink.png

@down23: as you will see in the wiki page, most objects in widelands are blender (3D) models. So you don't have to "draw" anything by yourself, no pixel artwork. But you should be familiar with 3D modeling. There are interesting wikibooks about blender in English and in German.

Top Quote
down23

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-06-21, 13:55

Ah in that case it's nothing for me I tried once to create a model with "Wings 3D" a top freeware modeling tool. But I'm simply bad at that sector. face-sad.png

Guess I will try to build some scripted scenarios then. It's still confusing I'm used to have at least triggers with variables and conditions at my disposal (Operation Flashpoint, Arma2 if that rings a bell) but I've never scripted entirely without such a feature. Well i've spotted several tutorial pages yet. So lets see if I get going something suitable with the tuts.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-06-21, 14:59

@martin..... Well, I always treat my AI that way.... and it never complained so far face-wink.png

Thanks, Martin for the links to the blender stuff. (I know it wasn't aimed at me, but you have already figured, that I'm taking my advantages unscrupulously) :) I don't have the time right now, and there is still lot that can be done in 2d, but some time in the future....

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
hjd

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2011-07-02, 16:18

Try to press 'g' on your keyboard - it should bring you to the place that is associated with the currenty selected message. Unlike in settlers2, there is no gui button for the same behaviour.

Yes there is. The button with an arrow pointing to a house in the upper right corner of the message window will take you to the place in question.

There are a couple of ideas described in the OP, might want to split them up and elaborate a bit more next time. Temples could be nice buildings to have, but I think all buildings should fill some purpose. Boosting soldiers was suggested, but I'm not sure how this would work in practice. So until they have a clearly defined purpose which the tribes (and the game) would benefit from, it would be just adding a building which doesn't do anything in particular. And if it doesn't do anything, people won't build it. Though if it has some purpose, I'm sure it will be considered adding it.

Ships!

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-07-03, 08:12

Based an Down23's initial idea and hjd's comments, I had an idea for the "temple" suggestion,
that I will explain in a new thread called "Temples and MDRL". here

Edited: 2011-07-03, 08:50

Top Quote