Latest Posts

Topic: New feature: Warehouse stock policies

ixprefect

Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-05-29, 22:39

Starting with rev5382, there is a new feature that allows you to control how "active" wares are distributed to warehouses. (Somewhat counterintuitively, wares that are on a flag somewhere and do not have a destination building where they are needed are called active.) Simply click on one of your warehouses, then click on the icon for a ware or worker to cycle through the different "stock policies". There are four stock policies: Normal, Prefer, Don't stock, and Remove.

Whenever the game has to decide which warehouse a ware or worker should be send to, it first checks whether there are any warehouses available that Prefer this ware. If so, the ware is sent to the closest warehouse with a Prefer setting. Otherwise, the ware is sent to the closest warehouse that is Normal. Don't stock and Remove mean that the warehouse never receives this ware as additional stock. The difference is that in Remove mode, any existing stock of that ware is transported outside of the warehouse.

In my opinion, seriously big games definitely feel more dynamic with this option. It allows you to build warehouses close to your border, and set this warehouse to Prefer soldiers and building materials, which makes things move a lot more quickly. Using this new feature for other things, such as food, is probably counter-productive unless you plan your economy very carefully and do a proper "zoning" (all bakeries and mills in one place, all farms in one place, and so on).

As you will soon realize, the icons used for the stock policy are obviously Programmer Art(tm). If somebody can come up with better icons, that would be nice.

Top Quote
hulagutten

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-05-29, 23:57

This is a really nice feature, which makes the game logistics much more planable! Excellent work!

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-05-30, 16:37

Ahh... a long standing top-level wish of mine face-smile.png
Thank you very much !!
I'll gladly see if I can do something with the icons (must wait for the package) - but I'm not much of an artist myself....

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-05-31, 09:34

Here is my suggestion for a replacement of these icons.
If you want to use them you can get the file here..
They replace the files of the same names in widelands/pics.

Edited: 2010-05-31, 09:36

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
kraileth

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-05-31, 11:37

Thanks for adding this, ixprefect! It helps WL's gameplay a lot in bigger maps and seems to work flawlessly. Wounderful! face-smile.png

Top Quote
ixprefect

Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-06-06, 16:08

Sorry for not reacting sooner. I like your icon suggestions, they're much better.

However, I can't help myself from associating "move outside" with the green arrow, which is of course completely opposite from what it should be. Am I alone in this? Perhaps if you changed the direction of the green arrow so that it is the reverse of the red arrow? In a way, perhaps the arrows shouldn't be exact opposites, because their meaning is not the exact opposite.

Apart from that, though, I'd add your improved icons.

Top Quote
edwardecl

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-09-01, 14:10

Is there any way of doing something like the global stock policy where you can set numbers of goods to store before turning off the economy, but instead just not allow goods into that particular stock once the limit has been reached? Then have the wares balance numbers of goods between the stocks if possible... or even better min and max numbers of goods.

Would be useful for getting building materials to far out stocks but still allow logs to go to a stock near a charcoal burner say.

But I'm still happy with what has been added :).

Top Quote
merikilpikonna

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2010-12-04, 13:56

hey there. i'm new and think i'm running an older version. clicking my ware buttons in the warehouse does not do anything and also i don't have tabs to switch between ware and people. instead i have a button on the bottom.

how can i update to a version that includes this feature?

Edited: 2010-12-04, 13:57

Top Quote
Gannaf

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-12-04, 22:26

To stay up to date simply download the development snapshot versions provided here: http://wl.widelands.org/wiki/DownloadPage/#download__installation

You might discover quite much new stuff there face-wink.png

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-06-29, 06:42

Damit - I've totally overlooked this, -- sorry!

IxPrefect wrote:... I can't help myself from associating "move outside" with the green arrow, which is of course completely opposite from what it should be. Am I alone in this? Perhaps if you changed the direction of the green arrow so that it is the reverse of the red arrow? In a way, perhaps the arrows shouldn't be exact opposites, because their meaning is not the exact opposite.

Doing it this way would be totally counter-intuitive for me!
My line of thinking goes like this:
For me -- like in Traffiv signs, red means "forbidden" and green "allowed".
"Move all out" includes "no more in" and so is a kind of prohibition,
whereas "preferred in" is more of an "allowance"-

So, though I have the strong feeling that I owe you something for implementing those policies,
I would rather have some more opinions on this, before I change them. face-wink.png

I have prepared another attempt for "store preferred" here
It might help to transport the "concentrate this here" idea, whicht is what store preferred does after all. Not sure whether it is any good, though.

Edited to include a very necessairy blinking smiley to clearly hint at the "tongue in cheek" character of the remark.

Edited: 2011-07-03, 16:18

Top Quote