Latest Posts

Topic: Menhir with markings

Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-06-06, 10:07

Alexia Death suggested in this posting that I should try to add
some markings or runes to my menhir or standing stone to indicate it is man-erected
and not standing there by chance.

I have tried that now with the winterland variant, and it shows that
there are too little pixels for complicated markings.
So I went for a simple eye shape as a sign of some transcendental awareness.
The line is just one pixel.

Edited: 2011-06-06, 10:09

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
Gannaf

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-06-06, 17:47

Beautiful!

Top Quote
fraang

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2011-06-06, 22:45

Looks great. face-grin.png

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-06-08, 09:08

Glad you like it.

I have done a Greenland variant meanwhile:

... and for certain cases, when you might want to hint at some sort of magic, lingering around this place (Szenarios),
there is even a slightly mesmerizing animated version. face-smile.png

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-06-13, 16:15

Astuur wrote:

there is even a slightly mesmerizing animated version.

face-grin.png It brings to mind something that the Atlanteans may have conjured. face-smile.png

I'm afraid the animation will be lost in the scale of the game engine, but it is a captivating effect.

I must download it and test it on a map.

Nice work.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-06-13, 17:57

It's tested in game of course.
I can see it at 800x600 an 24" (with limited eyesight face-smile.png )

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-06-16, 09:57

Again, the animation does not cut it for me. The picture and menhir however is beautiful!!

.. funny enought, the same tribal symbol is engraved into the CMD key of my apple keyboard. it was magically overprized and now I know why.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-06-16, 12:50

This symbol is on road signs that lead to some historic and natural touristic sites in Sweden and I think in Norway or Finland, too.
That's where I remembered it from. face-smile.png

Top Quote
hjd

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2011-06-26, 14:05

Astuur wrote: This symbol is on road signs that lead to some historic and natural touristic sites in Sweden and I think in Norway or Finland, too. That's where I remembered it from.

I can confirm it is used in Norway as well.

Nice work, though I am not sure about the animations. They might be distracting, or even considered strange by some players.

I don't know if there is enough space available, but you might want to take a look at some runestones (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runestone) if you want to do something similar. Some of the larger motives will of course not fit no matter what, but I think one of the "snake-ish" curving lines with runes could be possible. Just a thought.

Ships!

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-06-26, 18:06

Ah well - the animation thing was just a little extra - I gave in to the temptation and wanted to see what I can do, and how it looks.
Take it, or leave it - or tell me what needs to be done so that you like it better.
But please look at it inside the game at your ususal resolution.
So far, I have any thing from

I'm afraid the animation will be lost in the scale of the game engine,

to

They might be distracting,

So ... what am I to learn from it face-smile-big.png

I guess Chuck will have the final say in that.
In any case it's not something that the random map generator should use.
If at all, such an animation must be used sparingly and with a purpose in mind.
(i.e it starts or stops when the player has fulfilled a certain condition, also, it could be accompagnied by a sound effect, like breathing)

@ hjd: I don't think any of this could be done on that stone. We just don't have enough pixels.
Just load the png into any bitmap editor and you will see. (not the animation; that is upscaled)
The sign from the animation is already the maximum of detail that can be achieved, I'm afraid -
and making the stones even bigger, is probably not an option.

Top Quote