Latest Posts

Topic: Modifiacation of Winterland Ice_flows terrain tiles

Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-06-06, 09:08

I have added some movement simulation to the
Ice_flows and Ice_flows2 tiles in Winterland.
They have already been animated, but only with
a reflexion in the way the winterland water is.
The reflexions persist; I have only added some
lense effect in undulating strenght to the pattern
and some subtle lighting variation).
Ice_Flows is very subtle, Ice_flows2 a little stronger.
Both can be and should be used in combination.
I personally think the effect is not bad and not too intrusive.

I wanted a more visible hint at the fact that this isn't solid ground.
Here are the animated gifs.
Not very helpful, since the main effect comes from the
tiling at the borders, but the best I can do if you dont want to install.
the new files for testing.

ice_flows ice_flows

ice_flows2 ice_flows_2

The tiles to try this in an installation are here:
The archive can be unpacked in widelands\ and will overwrite the old files.

Comments?

Edited: 2011-08-03, 21:55

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
martin

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-06-09, 10:02

At the moment, I do not have the original ones in mind. All in all, they look nice - just 3 points that could still be improved face-wink.png

1. The borders of each piece of ice become less and more sharp during the animation - all of them at once. Could be due to the partly image resizing. Is this behaviour desired?
  2. Especially in the lower one (ice_flows_2), you can "see" a kind of 40-degree-rotated rectangle moving in and out the image while the corners are growing towards the centre of the picture. I think, a less specific shape could improve things a lot.
  3. The overall animation time could be longer - the movement should be slower (maybe, ingame it is already the case), and there could be different animation sequences one after another.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-06-09, 11:49

Hi Martin, and thanks for your comments.

martin wrote: At the moment, I do not have the original ones in mind. All in all, they look nice - just 3 points that could still be improved

It's made out of the originals .. they are similar, only static.

The borders of each piece of ice become less and more sharp during the animation - all of them at once. Could be due to the partly image resizing. Is this behaviour desired?

Not really face-smile.png It's partly from the way it is animated (distortorted), and partly from the underlying reflex that the originals have (like the current water_xx.pngs)

Especially in the lower one (ice_flows_2), you can "see" a kind of 40-degree-rotated rectangle moving in and out the image while the corners are growing towards the centre of the picture. I think, a less specific shape could improve things a lot.

Yep, true, that is why I said that the 2 tiles should be combined. I can't control the shape for this (it's anti-fish-eye) and with so small a bitmap, the border sort of shows. The nice part about it, is that it looks quite nice when you have a lot of these tiles adjacent, as it dissolves the tile boundries.
You really must see this in either the editor or the game.

The overall animation time could be longer - the movement should be slower (maybe, ingame it is already the case), and there could be different animation sequences one after another.

That might be just my animated gif, and does not have any influence in the game. Unfortunately no one has yet told me if/ where I could adjust the fps for the playback. Currently each animation is 8 pics. I could, of course, make more pictures, but as it is it suits the speed of the new waves I have made quite well.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-06-13, 16:06

Kudos on the ice flows. Great effect especially if your two animations could, as you say, be used in combination.

I've not downloaded them to see them in the game yet, but I really do like what you are presenting.

Thanks for your efforts. They really are worth notice and serious consideration.

(If only I can just get the time to take these graphics "for a spin" in the game, I could give you an assessment you deserve. Hopefully that will be sooner than later.) face-wink.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-06-13, 17:52

Don't worry. I am patient as a rule face-wink.png

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-06-16, 09:52

I am not so hiped on the animation. I looks like a pulsating heart to me... kinda creepy.

Astuur, I lost track of all thhe work you are currently doing. Could you someone make sure that your stuff reaches the repository if it doesn't?

@chuck: good to see you around! face-smile.png

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-06-16, 12:43

Hehe, the "pulsating heart" effect is gone when you see it as seemless tiles; its the borders that move, the heart is steady more or less.
This is not saying, that I think they are exceptionally good. There may still be a lot of work to do.

As for repository, nothing is decided yet except for the beach and sand terrain on Desert, which have received Alexia's approvement.
Final verdict about winterland quarry stones is also pending.
The rest is waiting for some more opinions: I am especially eager to hear Chucks opinion, if and when he can download and testdrive the stuff.
All of this is in no way time critical, and noone depends on this luckily.

Boulders (all worlds)
animated Water texture (plus ice_flows for winterland)
Menhir (static and eye-adorned for Winterland, static with rune and alternatively animated for Greenland)
Quarry stones (all worlds)
I also have some more bushes and grass that I have not yet show here...
-- and some other stuff that remains undisclosed for the time being (not because it's confidential, but because it's ugly face-smile.png

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-03, 19:00

@Astuur - (This is what I get for being absent for so long. :/) It seems that your archive of the ice floes (www.uobed.de/help/IceFlows) is no longer found on the server. Can you point me to your latest work? Thanks.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-03, 22:03

My bad, Chuck.
I should know by now that there are certain OSs that distinguish capitalisation, shouldn't I face-smile.png
The link is corrected.
If you like you can also use a combinded archive (ocean, desert, ice)
here

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-03, 22:53

Thanks. The combined archive will certainly help. After all, they ARE all water. face-wink.png

I see little people.

Top Quote