Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: More randomness needed

PermaTourist

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2011-06-08, 18:06

I've been playing Widelands for the last several yearss, always in Single player mode, and have enjoyed the game greatly - when there is a new map to play on. I understand that from a programming perspective, it is so much easier to have known fixed points for the Headquarters on the different maps; the problem is that after a particular map has been played several times, the game loses much of its interest: as a single player, I always start as the Blue team and always at the same position on the map. If it would be possible to either (or even better, BOTH) start as a different team or with the headquarters in a different place, the games would be a lot more challenging and interesting.

Also, it would be Really Nice face-smile.png if the construction of new buildings happened in the same order/sequence that I put them on the map (for example, let me have a lumberjack then forester built TO COMPLETION in one area before starting on the fortress in a different map area).

Widelands is an excellent game, and a lot of fun, and I appreciate the time and effort that has gone into it - and thank you for making it available.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-06-08, 19:42

Hello PermaTourist
and welcome here!

Your first point is not excatly true. face-smile.png
You can play whatever color is present in a map. (click on the flag of the color you want to play when setting up the tribe(s) and AI characteristics).
With the color changes your starting point, as a specific color is assigned to any starting point.

The second point is "undoable" ( my personal assessment, only).
The completion of any construction site depends on the availability and the transporting times for all wares and your road system.
So, buildings near to a warehouse that has all needed stuff will always complete earlier.
The only way to ensure what you want, would be to have exactly one builder only,
and that cannot be done in WL and would be a hopeless disadvantage for all competitive playing.
If you want to make sure, a certain building will be finished before others, use the priorization buttons as soon as you
connect the building (helps, but no real guarantee).... or else disconnect all others (100% success).

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
martin

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-06-09, 11:01

You can manually hinder a construction site from being built when you destroy the road leading to it - just don't forget to rebuild it :) But I think, it is not the desired behaviour, that you first have to complete a building in order to be able to start off the next construction site. If your territory is big enough and you have lots of building materials in your warehouses, you usually do not want to wait until the forester and the lumberjack are completed before your fortress will be started - especially when transportation takes quite long. And what if there was a building material lacking? It would let all of your other construction sites wait - even if the materials would be available for them. I think, if your economy and your road system are powerful enough, you will be able to build foresters, lumberjacks and fortresses at the same time. But as Astuur has already pointed out, you can of course adjust the priority buttons for each material for each construction site, corresponding to how important it is for you to get a specific building completed.

Top Quote