Latest Posts

Topic: Chinese missing?

martin

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-02-18, 15:17

Hi dear community!

While testing the new i18n, which has been available since bzr5831 :D, I wondered if there's no language support for Chinese. I just wanted to know whether this is intended (maybe due to the incredible set of characters) or if we forgot something face-wink.png

Of course, I know that languages with other characters than the latin or cyrillic ones haven't been translated very well. This especially applies to Arabic, Persian (Farsi), Japanese etc. So, introducing another language that is not likely to be translated very soon, maybe is not a good idea... What do you think?

Cheers, Martin

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-02-18, 15:45

Hi martin :),

actually everyone who likes to can translate Widelands to any language (s)he likes to have included face-wink.png - we translate Widelands using the online translation tool of launchpad -> https://translations.launchpad.net/widelands

Possibly a bigger problem is the missing of chinese font characters. I am not sure whether Widelands' current font (which is a combination of almost all GPL compatible fonts, to have an almost complete font set) supports all chinese characters.

However, the font problematic is well known and as far as I know the bug reports for such issues are currently targetted for build17 (which does not mean, that it will be implemented there, as we simply do not have a good solution until now for this problem... e.g. another problem are right to left texts, as common in some other languages - Widelands does not yet support right to left texts...)

Cheers Peter

Top Quote
martin

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-02-19, 13:07

Widelands does not yet support right to left texts...

Ah yes, I see... Hebrew (Ivrit) is written from left to right which is the wrong direction - and also should be the same problem with Arabic and Farsi. Luckily, Chinese is a left-to-right language face-smile.png

Concerning the "Widelands.ttf" font: I tried to select it and got the error message 'Could not find font file "/fonts/Widelands/Widelands.ttf" Make sure the path is given relative to Widelands font directory. Widelands will use standard font.' Seems to be due to the leading slash. Is this an Ubuntu-specific problem? EDIT: It's a problem with the FS_CanonicalizeName in src/io/filesystem/filesystem.cc - it somehow adds the leading slash, but it should not! Is this issue already on the bug tracker?

However, the standard font (FreeSerif) supports Hebrew, Arabic, Farsi and Japanese. But when selecting Korean, I get lots of small rectangles: these characters do not seem to be supported - and will be the same with Chinese, I guess.

Edited: 2011-02-19, 13:57

Top Quote
martin

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-02-19, 15:28

I hardcoded the filename path for the Widelands.ttf into my local repo to have an ingame look at it. The font is nice face-smile.png as it makes the game look more consistent. But it seems to support only a very small subset of the Unicode table: latin characters, german umlauts, spanish/french accents and cedille - that's all. No Greek, Cyrillic, Hebrew, Arabic, Farsi, Japanese, Korean, Chinese etc.

Is this font still being developed? By the widelands team? And which part of the team would be responsible for it?

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-02-20, 08:49

The Widelands font is a side project I begun because of font license issues, with the first Widelands logo. I haven't worked much on the font in last time, but it is however not dead ;). If you are interested in it, check the project page at http://sourceforge.net/projects/drehatlas-fonts/

Top Quote
raymond

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-04-25, 11:07

There is Chinese (Simplified) (zh_CN) on https://translations.launchpad.net/widelands/trunk/+lang/zh_CN but not Chinese (Traditional) (zh_TW) yet. Help for translating widelands into chinese.

Edited: 2011-04-25, 11:08

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-04-25, 12:27

perhaps I missunderstand you, however the page does exist: https://translations.launchpad.net/widelands/trunk/+lang/zh_TW simply nobody has yet begun to translate

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-04-26, 10:35

Just translate there and it will show on the language/translation page on launchpad and will find its way into the game eventually.

Top Quote