Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Settlers 2.5rtttr compared

a_settler

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-09-27, 21:38

Hello, about ten years ago or more I played the originals settlers 1, 2, 3, 4 on different plattforms, but S4 has been the last as it was getting too much militaristic. Then pause and about two yeas ago discovered Widelands, thank you for it. Now I also discovered S25rttr and for comparison I installed as well. It is not as advanced as Widelands yet, still a lotof things are not working well there, like the smith, he gets coal and iron, and produces, but no weapons come out. But there are some things which I like to have in Widelands: 1. Donkeys for busy roads 2. Boats for short distances 3. Ships to discover new islands, and to transport wares on large distances 4. stone-catapult 5. Being able to load maps from the old settlers versions. 6. A function to put out all wares from a warehous, that it will be transported to other warehouses. That's it, otherwise Widelands is much more advanced and more functional. Keep on that positive developement. Thank you.

Edited: 2009-09-27, 22:15

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-09-27, 23:13

well a big plus for s25rttr is, that it looks more familiar, as they use the original graphics from S2 - a point Widelands unfortunally lacks a bit.. face-confused.png

however for the points you noted:

• 1, 2, 3, 6 are planned
  • 4 is not planned Last time I heared someone talking about it, it seems most of the developers disliked that feature(but well who knows, perhaps it will be implemented anyways face-wink.png )
  • 5 is already implemented for settlers 2 maps (.swd and .wld) face-smile.png

Hope that's something you wanted to hear face-wink.png

Cheers Nasenbaer

Top Quote
a_settler

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-09-28, 16:10

Yes, that is almost that i wanted to hear. I meanwhile also tryed to find out how to load Settler 2 maps, but I have no idea how to do. I copied the files in the Widelands maps directory and they were not displayed (build 14).

Top Quote
a_settler

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-09-28, 16:13

By the way, the S25rttr graphics really look familar as it is the original (old fashioned) one. But I think the Widelands graphics is much nicer. I only wish some more activities, for example if the smith works, in S25 I can see that, in Widelands not. Otherwise I prefer the Widelands graphics, it is much finer.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-09-28, 17:26

hmm works fine for me. For example:

• download this *.swd Map and save it in <widelands>/maps
  • startup Widelands and select singleplayer -> In the list of available maps "Bergschlumpf" is shown. It has another icon in front of the name, to show you that it's a settlers2 map.

You run Widelands on Windows?

Top Quote
a_settler

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-09-28, 19:47

Yes, in Windows. Now I have copied your example and the S2 original maps and some additional ones in the directory and they are found. But there is a problem with Umlaut (äöüÄÖÜ) in the descriptions.

Top Quote
Foxpaw

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-04-09, 21:18

I know this is an old topic, but only here I can see the catapult mentioned.

As the game now works adding the catapult might result in a complete redesign of the balance, but I really loved this building in the original Settlers II. Well if Nasenbaer is correct, the catapult will never be implemented, but I just want to point out that it could add an interesting twist to battle if well designed. Ok, I know it was a bit like cheating in Settlers, but couldn't it be an additional refinement to war mechanism in Widelands?

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-04-10, 12:10

Fox, we do not want to underline the economy aspect of widelands and not bolster the military aspect any more. For this reason, there will be no catapults in widelands. You can find more discussion by searching through these forums. If you like the catapults, i suggest you also try s25rttr.

Top Quote
Foxpaw

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-04-10, 17:05

Thx for your reply. I was just curious. I am glad that the main goal is economy and not military.

Top Quote